Question are vpn providers different?

shiwen55

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
Hi,

I do use vpn for streaming, to my surprise, I can stream with one vpn provider, but not with another provider and I get black screen, stream nothing.

I don't know why, I think they must be different in terms of encryption or other things, have no idea.

Just out of curiosity, to add to my knowledge, what could be different? Thank you

Regards,

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes they are all different.
some log every bit of data, some are unlogged, some forbid certain traffic, some do not restrict in any way. differing VPN protocols as well as varying encryption protocols will play a role.
server congestion is a biggie. chose one with many servers to connect to.
I have personally used Nord, PIA, and Surfshark.
currently with surfshark, I suggest any of the three.
PIA has the virtue of accepting gift cards as payment so anonymity can be ensured.

Reactions: shiwen55

shiwen55

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
yes they are all different.
some log every bit of data, some are unlogged, some forbid certain traffic, some do not restrict in any way. differing VPN protocols as well as varying encryption protocols will play a role.
server congestion is a biggie. chose one with many servers to connect to.
I have personally used Nord, PIA, and Surfshark.
currently with surfshark, I suggest any of the three.
PIA has the virtue of accepting gift cards as payment so anonymity can be ensured.

Thanks,

I've been using UnblockrDOTnet for sometime and tried to join AzireVPN just because they support Wireguard as well, not only Openvpn. But to my surprise all streaming went black, so started using Unblockr again.

Only because Wireguard is faster than Openvpn, although AzireVPN Openvpn was causing the same problem.

shiwen55

You have to read the details closely if your goal is to do illegal stuff. In general you get what you pay for. The larger VPN are more expensive because they have many more data centers. They also tend to have larger less loaded servers so you can get more speed. Even then you must many times test these vpn services out yourself. The performance will all depend on how good the connection between you and the ISP the VPN provider is using.

Depends what you mean by streaming. Sites like netflix and amazon video have lists of vpn IP address blocks and prevent you from using it. What is strange is netflix adds VPN IP blocks fairly quickly for some providers and ignores others. Nordvpn has for a very long time avoided being blocked by netflix. Not sure why when getting the IP blocks is pretty trivial.

I would never use the so called free vpn. They at the best load ads into your data and some have been caught loading bit coin mining clients to peoples machines.

shiwen55

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
You have to read the details closely if your goal is to do illegal stuff. In general you get what you pay for. The larger VPN are more expensive because they have many more data centers. They also tend to have larger less loaded servers so you can get more speed. Even then you must many times test these vpn services out yourself. The performance will all depend on how good the connection between you and the ISP the VPN provider is using.

Depends what you mean by streaming. Sites like netflix and amazon video have lists of vpn IP address blocks and prevent you from using it. What is strange is netflix adds VPN IP blocks fairly quickly for some providers and ignores others. Nordvpn has for a very long time avoided being blocked by netflix. Not sure why when getting the IP blocks is pretty trivial.

I would never use the so called free vpn. They at the best load ads into your data and some have been caught loading bit coin mining clients to peoples machines.

I've just signed up to PIA, will try that tomorrow, hopefully it works. I had feedback it's better when comes to speed.

shiwen55

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
Hi folks,

Just setup PIA on my router, works okay, no blanc screen. Speed wise better but not much difference. Thanks for your recommendations.

Have a good day

Jan 14, 2020
Streaming services (or any other websites) block ranges of IP addresses. Each VPN server has a unique IP address and VPN providers usually have hundreds or thousands servers. For example, I am able to access US Netflix while using atlasvpn.com but I can't access ESPN using this VPN. And vice versa, I can access Hotstar with privateinternetaccess.com while it doesn't work with BBC (for me, at least, maybe I'm doing something wrong).