Are You Ready To Win Parts For Your Back-To-School PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Zagen30[/nom]Technically triple-channel was a feature of the 1366 chipset, but Intel never released anything other than i7s for 1366 since it was their premium one. They did release some i7s for socket 1156, their mainstream chipset that launched about a year after 1366, and those used a dual-channel configuration just like all the other lower-end processors that fit that socket.But that only applied to the first-gen Nehalem i7s. This gen, Sandy/Ivy Bridge, Intel again has a mainstream/high-end chipset split (1155/2011), with the former again using dual-channel and the latter using quad-channel. Unlike the first gen, though, they rolled out the mainstream chipset before the performance one, so most people aren't overly familiar with 2011.[/citation]

thanks, that said, i still wish they would seperate the i seriese more.
low end
mid end
main stream high
preformance high
and extreme high

easy to see with the first few letters instead of needing to also know the sockets.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
This contest is a bit, ah, double-edged. If you win, you have a 20/23 chance of ending up with a case of overpriced, flavored fizzy water. Keeping in mind the tax laws, that's actually a liability if you don't care for the product at its stated value of $62.

If I am selected to win the flavored water, other contestants may be pleased to hear that I will likely choose to decline acceptance of that particular prize. I don't feel obliged to pay $25 in additional taxes for the "privilege" of winning 2 cases of carbonated sugar water with food coloring.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@abitoms and others: It's not the US laws that exclude Europeans and other contestants. It's the laws in the destination countries. There's no US law that says, "you can't give any prizes to Rhode Island." But there is a law in RI that places restrictions on what types of contests may be held, what prizes may be given, what taxes must be paid, etc. Unless I'm mistaken, the primary laws at play here are import tax laws and/or contest prize tax laws that THG would have to pay if they awarded prizes to non-US contestants. I honestly don't know what's up with RI, but I do know that it's not anything that anyone outside of RI did to them.

[citation][nom]chronium[/nom]It's more to do with the fact that they're to lasy to include a skill testing question, which Canada requires.[/citation]
Canada has lottery laws that make it illegal to run a lottery without government approval.

Making the winner answer a skill testing question turns it into a contest and not a lottery so it's not subject to the lottery laws.

Quebec, like Rhode Island, is subject to their own lottery laws and exclusions.

Krusher

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Sorry if I've missed it, but did Tom's announce the winners? I didn't get the email so it's not me. Don't forget to check your spam filters everyone. It would be a bummer to win, but have the email filtered out by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.