[SOLVED] ARGB Confusion.

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
I have the Asus Prime z390-A mobo. I bought the Mattrexx 70 case as well. The case came with 3 Deepcool CF120 fans pre-installed. There was no controller or remote for these fans. Just the fans came with the case.
My mobo only has 2 4pin rgb headers. So obviously I cannot use these fans with my board due to the fact that these are addressable fans. I'm trying my best to get these fans to use with my board because I don't feel like spending more money for a compatible set of fans. SO...............

I got the fans to light up just by connecting them to the case wiring without using the rgb convertor. I just need to get them to spin.
These CF fans have a 4pin female connector and a 3pin female connector on each. I do have the Deepcool/Gamestorm RGB convertor. Can I somehow use this to connect all 3 CF fans to my board or do I need the controller to go with it as well?
Or should I just go ahead and purchase the Deepcool RF120's?
Or does anyone know of a good set of 3 RGB fans to use that is compatible with the Asus Prime Z390-A mobo?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
You'll need a hub then.

The it get's even crazier. If you want to sync using Aura and have a rgb keyboard or mouse it gets more difficult. And if they aren't Corsair or Asus you'll be stuck trying to use the Jacknet RGB app to get them synced and it has plenty of bugs too.

I just bought the 3 pin aRGB DeepCool fans. I have a Corsair K70 keyboard inbound. The Corsair iCUE software can control the Aura but only the 4 pin 12V RGB headrs, not the 5V 3 pin headers.

So, depending on what your trying to do the Corsair hub may be best.
You'll need a hub then.

The it get's even crazier. If you want to sync using Aura and have a rgb keyboard or mouse it gets more difficult. And if they aren't Corsair or Asus you'll be stuck trying to use the Jacknet RGB app to get them synced and it has plenty of bugs too.

I just bought the 3 pin aRGB DeepCool fans. I have a Corsair K70 keyboard inbound. The Corsair iCUE software can control the Aura but only the 4 pin 12V RGB headrs, not the 5V 3 pin headers.

Solution

Prahsper

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
You'll need a hub then.

I thought so. But one thing I did notice. The case I have seemed to have all the connectors for these fans already hooked up. Without a hub. May not be able to sync them this way but that is not an issue, but they should still work. Not looking to do all that crazy coloring and syncing. Just have solid colors every so often. no rgb keyboard/ mouse so no worries there. Now when powered on the fans get power to light up but they don't spin. I was thinking that the fans may have a defect. So instead of the hub, I bought the RF and these CF's again to test thru Amazon. Whichever works better for me, the other will go back. But I really do think the fans that came with the case are not fully working properly. I will know for sure when the new fans arrive Sunday.

UPDATE: Received the new fans from Amazon. As I predicted, the CF120's that came with the case were dead. I bought another 3 pack of CF120 and a 3 pack RF120 and they all worked perfectly. I prefer the RF 120's better for my mobo so I am sending the CF120's back.
Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited: