Question ARGB Controller not working.

DogNamedNibbles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2021
So I bought a Montech 900 Mesh case, and it came with 4 preinstalled ARGB fans, as well as a controller, that connects to the motherboard (Front Panel Connectors), and allows me to alter the fans with an LED button on the front case.

The fans were annoying me, as they weren't changing speed, so I looked into the case to check what was going on (I did this while the PC was running). I pulled out the cable that goes to the motherboard, as well as the 3 pin ARGB connectors. After removing the molex or AMP out, and replacing it with the other one, I plugged everything back in, but now it's playing up, and the RGB isn't working. I later discovered that they are not PWM.

I was wondering if me plugging the MOLEX or AMP (Big 4 pin power supply connectors) into the 4 pin peripheal power connector, would have damaged the controller, or did I damage the controller by doing this all of this while PC was running, or from pulling the 2 pin LED connector from the RGB controller while my PC was running. Or from all this information, if you think the controller is not dead, then I can try more.

I do want to say though, that after mixing a matching the ARGB connectors to the RGB controller, the relative fans started displaying a faint amount of RGB (It starts with showing R, G and B, then changes to your preference). So I was wondering if this is a sign of a faulty RGB connector, or a fault with the power connector.

there's always a chance of damaging components when fiddling with them while they are powered on.
but when using cheaper lower quality products it can be more likely to happen.
you may have even damaged them just by pulling on wires and not the actual plastic connectors.

if the included hub is damaged,
you can purchase a 3rd party fan\RGB hub that would connect directly to your motherboard's headers that will allow you to use your motherboard control software to configure them.
also if the manufacturer offers any decent customer support, they should send you a free replacement hub and any other damaged components. just tell them it happened on it's own, not that you actually caused the damage.
after mixing a matching the ARGB connectors to the RGB controller, the relative fans started displaying a faint amount of RGB
by "faint", you mean they aren't as bright as they should be?
the RGB isn't working.
or are they not working at all?

I later discovered that they are not PWM.
a lot of motherboards support some 3-pin fan control through their 4-pin headers if you choose DC mode in the BIOS.

DogNamedNibbles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2021
there's always a chance of damaging components when fiddling with them while they are powered on.
but when using cheaper lower quality products it can be more likely to happen.
you may have even damaged them just by pulling on wires and not the actual plastic connectors.

if the included hub is damaged,
you can purchase a 3rd party fan\RGB hub that would connect directly to your motherboard's headers that will allow you to use your motherboard control software to configure them.
also if the manufacturer offers any decent customer support, they should send you a free replacement hub and any other damaged components. just tell them it happened on it's own, not that you actually caused the damage.
by "faint", you mean they aren't as bright as they should be?
or are they not working at all?

a lot of motherboards support some 3-pin fan control through their 4-pin headers if you choose DC mode in the BIOS.
By faint I mean they were about 50% dimmer, as well as only producing colour on 1/3 of the fan. I don't know if this was an issue with the power connector, or if I killed it using the wrong large 4 pin power connector. This only showed after mixing the ARGB connectors around, though in the most part they showed nothing. After mixing them, and showing this faint amount of green, they would (After removing the connector, and placing it back in the same spot, replugging the connector in) stop showing.