Question Daisy-chaining ARGB Fans ?

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
Greetings all! I’m delving into ARGB for the first time, building a PC for my nephew and have a question re: how many fans I can daisy chain off one ARGB connector.

The motherboard I’m using for the build, the Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming, has 1 ARGB header and the fans I’m using are the Deepcool FC120 fans. According to Deepcool, it’s safe to daisy chain up to 6 of them, and the power draw is just over 1W for the LEDs on each fan. However, it’s not entirely clear what the amperage draw is specifically for the LEDs; only the fan amperage is listed, rated at 0.13A per fan, and I’m not sure if they are one and the same.

The provided cables from Deepcool each have a SATA power connector (1 SATA per 3 fans), a 4-pin fan header connector, 1 3-pin ARGB connector and 1 more female ARGB input for daisy chaining. My question is, if the fans are connected to SATA power, do I need to be worried about daisy chaining all 6 to the single ARGB header on the mobo? Will I burn out the ARGB header doing this, or will the SATA power connections mitigate the power draw on the header? I plan to connect both cables to SATA power for all 6 fans.

Would appreciate any and all advice - thanks in advance!

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Solution

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
https://www.deepcool.com/products/C...y-Chain-Performance-ARGB-Fan/2021/13582.shtml
If you do the conversion, 5V DC, 1.05W = 0.21A, the fan header on your motherboard will do
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B550-F_GAMING/E16609_ROG_STRIX_B550-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
page 1-15, 3A's at 5V and 500LED's. 6x Fans with that kind of power draw would mean 6x.021A = 1.26A. You should be fine.

You could get an ARGB hub that's fed with external power to mitigate your header's power limit/stipulation.
Awesome, thanks so much! I was hoping to avoid using a hub to keep the build as clean as possible in terms of wiring / clutter, and it’s sounding like I should be fine off the single ARGB header according to those numbers. I figured also having the 2 cables connected to SATA power should help things along. Appreciate the quick reply!