Question ARGB fans with internal usb?

Nov 12, 2021
Hello,

I have been searching for a long time and am trying to find 3 or 4 pin fan hub for atleast 3 fans and led strip lighting (3pin) that can connect to the motherboard via internal usb? I would assume this would be possible but I cant seem to find anything like it. I pretty much just need an argb fan hub that can be used and controlled on the motherboard with the internal usb. Is this possible? Are there products for this? My motherboard does not have rgb headers and I want to be able to control it through software if its possible. My brand of fans is omni btw.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to look into Coolermaster's ARGB/RGB controller, like this one;
but it deals with lighting alone.

Likewise, you can take a look at this as well;

Make and model of your motherboard? If these are your fans, then you will need to work with a standalone PWM fan hub(not linked here) and an ARGB controller like the one parsed above.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello,

I have been searching for a long time and am trying to find 3 or 4 pin fan hub for atleast 3 fans and led strip lighting (3pin) that can connect to the motherboard via internal usb? I would assume this would be possible but I cant seem to find anything like it. I pretty much just need an argb fan hub that can be used and controlled on the motherboard with the internal usb. Is this possible? Are there products for this? My motherboard does not have rgb headers and I want to be able to control it through software if its possible. My brand of fans is omni btw.
I don't know of any that can do that you might need to look into one that has a remote control.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lutfij points you in the right direction, but I'll add a couple details. You recognize already that you need power and control for two things - PWM fans and ARGB lights - and want to centralize all that in one Hub. Also, you have no lighting headers on your mobo. What that means, then, is that you need two devices. You need the Hub for both functions, and Lutfij has pointed you to one by CoolerMaster, also available here for example

https://www.amazon.com/Addressable-Lighting-Magnetic-backplane-Addressble/dp/B08JQFKXYK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=38CAMOFAVJU4T&keywords=cooler+master+fan+hub&qid=1644259571&sprefix=cooler+master+fan+hub,aps,92&sr=8-3

and a cheaper version here

https://www.amazon.com/Addressable-Lighting-Splitter-Motherboard-Interface/dp/B08GCD71CG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2DTU2KFIZGXVF&keywords=fan+hub+argb&qid=1644259659&sprefix=fan+hub+argb,aps,72&sr=8-5

I note also that OMNI sells another of this type on their website.

Then you also need a third-party ARGB lighting controller and Lutfij has listed one with a few extra features. That's an older model for which I have seen conflicting claims about use with software. However, Cooler Master has a new model, their LED Controller A1

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Addressable-Controller-Individual/dp/B09NQFZNFT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2N0CLKUVC7OHS&keywords=Cooler+Master+LED+Controller+A1&qid=1644260102&sprefix=cooler+master+led+controller+a1,aps,93&sr=8-1

It is designed from the start for just what you want - power and control of ARGB lights only, using a USB2 connection for communication with their free software utility Masterplus+. Another very similar alternative is the Razer Chroma Addressable RGB Controller using their Synapse 3 software.

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Chroma-Addressable-Controller-Compatibility/dp/B08KC2VZ2V/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2EFSLB5L97WND&keywords=ARGB+Controller&qid=1644260206&sprefix=argb+controller,aps,86&sr=8-15

With either of the combo (fan + lights) Hubs you connect to it a power supply (a SATA power output from the PSU), a cable from one mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header to bring in the PWM signal, and a cable from the output of one of those ARGB lighting controllers to bring in the ARGB control signals. Then you connect from each fan or light strip the fan motor cable and lighting cable to the appropriate Hub output port. You configure your mobo fan header for use with PWM 4-pin fans, and you install and run the software tool for your Controller to manage the lights. Ta-Da!!

Nov 12, 2021
Thanks for all those replies. I will be using a fan hub. So it doesnt matter what brand the fans and fanhub are? Because my fans are omni. Also my motherboard is a B450M-H. Not really sure still of how i can plug any fan hub into it yet since i dont have a rgb header.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't confuse Fan with Light. They aren't the same thing.

A fan is a fan, that's all it is, plugs into any regular fan header on the mobo, any splitter, any hub (as long as they are the same type, as in pwm or analog).

RGB and ARGB or sometimes referred to as DRGB are the lights. Commonly they use a seperate wire and have absolutely nothing to do with fan operation, ARGB/DRGB usually being 5v.

Most fan hubs or 4way splitters are nothing more than a power source to take the place of the header, the pwm signal working the speed.

ARGB is easily split, as each individual (or group) of leds is seperate, has its own software address. This allows for Rainbow. RGB is not individually controlled, all the leds respond to the single signal source so no Rainbow is possible, only variable solid colors.

Needless to say, RGB and ARGB do not mix other than in specific powered hub controllers, but even then, only the ARGB will have Rainbow ability.

So depending on your exact Fan needs, you may or may not need a fan hub/controller, but without any ARGB/RGB headers you will need a lighting controller.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Re-read the last half of my post above. The Hub you are aiming for IS good for what you want - but it's just HALF of what you need. A HUB can only distribute power and control signals to all its attached devices. It is NOT a Controller by itself, so it does NOT create its own control signals for either function. That is an interesting Hub design because it is a combination of TWO types of Hub. One half of it is for the MOTORS only. The other half is to distribute the signals for ARGB Lights.

As Karadjne says above, each lighted fan you have is TWO separate devices in one unit - a fan with motor, and lights in the fan frame. Each has its own separate electrical cable ending in a "standard" connector you can plug into any "standard" fan header and lighting header. The motor cables from each fan plug into the "PWM" ports of that Hub. The Lighting cables from each fan plug into its ARGB ports. In addition to the power supply from a SATA power output connector from the PSU, the Hub requires inputs from TWO sources: one from a mobo fan header to get the PWM control signal for the MOTORS, and another from an ARGB Controller for the control signal for the LIGHTS. Your mobo has no Controller and header built into it for lights, so you need a third-party CONTROLLER for ARGB lights. THAT will provide the control signals you must feed to the Hub for the lighting functions to work. Lutfij linked you to one in his post above, and I recommended two others for you to consider.