Question ARGB Hub to Motherboard

FrutyX

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2017
Heya,

I haven't done this before, so before I do something possibly bad, I would like to ask for advice, just to be sure.

My case is MSI MAG FORGE 100M (https://www.msi.com/PC-Case/MAG-FORGE-100M) and it comes with a "1 to 6 RGB LED Control Board", now, I've had this case for a while, but I would like to have control over my ARGB fans in my system (via software), so far I have been changing the colors via the case button, thus I do not have the control board connected to my motherboard, and that is what I would like to change.

My motherboard is GIGABYTE B550 GAMING X V2 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-GAMING-X-V2-rev-10-11-12#kf), Gigabyte is advertising that you can connect LED strips to it, but that's not what I want, and this is where I became uncertain, how should I connect the control board to the motherboard? From what I have been googling, it appears I should connect it to the "D_LED1", is that correct? Keep in mind I want the whole hub connected, not single fans, to have control over the ARGB system.

That you very much for your help.

Solution
I mean, it's not what I expected to see, is it even possible to connect it to mobo?
This is different than shown on PC case specs page;

boxA.jpg

Where promotional image shows 4 wire connector for control, indicating that at the other end, there is standard 4-pin RGB connector. However, your image shows the connector for control just to have 2 wires, whereby the LED button acts just as a on/off switch. In this case, you can not connect the hub to the MoBo, since there are no internal headers for 2-pin wires, that can be toggled via software.

Now, all is not lost, since you have 2x RGB fans and 2x RGB headers on MoBo, whereby you can...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I would like to have control over my ARGB fans in my system (via software)
Your PC case for sure is 100M and not 100R? Since if you have 100M, then you do not have ARGB fans, instead RGB fans.

In any event, there is cable going from RGB hub to the RGB switch in your case, look if you can disconnect that cable from the switch side (so cable remains attached to the RGB hub) and look what kind of connector it is. It is supposed to be four wire 4-pin RGB, if it is the default connector and not proprietary connector.

Looks like so, on the right:

lb1e4.png

In this case, connect it to the MoBo 4-pin RGB header. Your MoBo has two of these.

FrutyX

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2017
You are right, it's RGB, not ARGB, sorry, my bad here.

Anyways, you might wanna take a look at this:

wxqBG4H.jpeg

I mean, it's not what I expected to see, is it even possible to connect it to mobo? I haven't checked the other end yet, just a quick peek.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I mean, it's not what I expected to see, is it even possible to connect it to mobo?

boxA.jpg

Where promotional image shows 4 wire connector for control, indicating that at the other end, there is standard 4-pin RGB connector. However, your image shows the connector for control just to have 2 wires, whereby the LED button acts just as a on/off switch. In this case, you can not connect the hub to the MoBo, since there are no internal headers for 2-pin wires, that can be toggled via software.

Now, all is not lost, since you have 2x RGB fans and 2x RGB headers on MoBo, whereby you can bypass the RGB hub completely and connect both fan LED cables directly to MoBo. This way, you can have individual control over fan RGB. E.g make one shine blue, while other shines red.

Solution

FrutyX

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2017

I have noticed this too, and I feel a little bit scammed, I bought it new and from a legit (and the biggest) shop in my country, both the shop and MSI are showing the same picture, yet the board I have is different.

I have checked the order, it is indeed the MSI MAG FORGE 100M.

It is only half-lost, because I bought more of these RGB fans, so I cannot connect them all, I know now that I would have to buy either a splitter or a new hub for them.

Anyways, if the board was as shown, your instructions would've helped and solved it, but you did helped a lot without that, so thank you, marking as solution.

Reactions: Aeacus