Review Argon EON Review: Turns Raspberry Pi Into a NAS

Mar 6, 2022
I was one of the Kickstarter backers, so I've had the device for about a month. I'm generally quite pleased, but I do disagree with the author of the review about the ease of use of OpenMediaVault.
Even as an experienced software engineer, and having set up and used a different NAS before, I still spent a couple hours hunting for documentation, tutorials, and trial and error before successfully connecting my Ubuntu box and Rasp Pi running Volumio to the NAS.
I think Argon should have done more in terms of providing a "roadmap" in terms of links to documentation and tutorials to help new users get the software set up.

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
The article did not mention if this set up is able to do RAID 1 ? I want to put in 2 disks and have them mirror each other and if it can't, I will look elsewhere.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Much better to save up for the Synology. Using more than a single drive on the Argon NEO will slow down performance thanks to the single USB 3 SATA connection. Also, the software on Synology devices is the easiest and most intuitive in the industry. I did a lot of research before I decided to buy my Synology NAS. A few months ago I upgraded my DS418play to a DS1621xs+, best money I ever spent.

Djeay Clayton

Prominent
May 31, 2020
Much better to save up for the Synology. Using more than a single drive on the Argon NEO will slow down performance thanks to the single USB 3 SATA connection. Also, the software on Synology devices is the easiest and most intuitive in the industry. I did a lot of research before I decided to buy my Synology NAS. A few months ago I upgraded my DS418play to a DS1621xs+, best money I ever spent.

I used to be a big fan of Synology, until I learned what kind of clothes the emperor was (not) wearing.

I wasn't so thrilled that the multiple Synology devices that I purchased stopped becoming eligible for firmware updates, effectively leaving me with devices that became less and less useful over time. That, combined with Synology's quirky operating system, limited UI functionality, and downright exacerbating technical support steered me to QNAP, where I've not had any regrets since.