Review Argon ONE M.2 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2020
Thanks for a very nice review. I own four of the original Argon One cases. They are really excellent cases for overclocked Raspberry Pi 4s. I overclock my RPi 4s to 2250 MHz CPU and 750MHz GPU and these are the only cases I have tried that can handle the thermal load under heavy sustained use. The close-up shots of the rear USB 3.0-to-USB 3.0 jumper is intriguing. .A few questions not answered in the article are:
  1. What controller chip is used for the integrated USB 3.0-to-M.2 SATA bridge? E.g. Is it an ASMedia ASM1153e or ASM235 (both of which support TRIM and UASP)?
  2. What disk throughput does the integrated M.2 SSD connector give? Some disk benchmarks using FIO (Flexible I/O Tester) would be helpful. For example I get 395MB/s Read and 332MB/s Write on my Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD via a Ugreen M.2-to-USB3.0 enclosure (with ASM1153e chip).
  3. Does the rear USB 3.0-to-USB 3.0 jumper-adapter put out RF interference that would interfere with 2.4GHz WiFi or nearby Bluetooth devices?
  4. What remote controls work with the built-in IR sensor? Will this sensor work with HDMI CEC remotes e.g. our TV remotes? (No info on Argon 40's website.)
  5. Why did Argon 40 block off the micro-SD card slot? It makes no sense to deny access to a working card slot. To swap micro-SD cards, you'd have to unscrew the top of the case, causing wear-and-tear to the thin thermal pads each time.
  6. How noisy (in dB) are the fans when they kick-in? Is the new case's fan larger that the original Argon One's 30mm fan?

Last edited:

BakaNeko59

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Since this uses the USB port to connect how is it any different than using a normal USB drive (apart from the convenience of having it inside the case)?

Nov 10, 2020
Since this uses the USB port to connect how is it any different than using a normal USB drive (apart from the convenience of having it inside the case)?

Seems to me $20 is worth that convenience, considering an external m.2 enclosure will run about the same price point anyway.
The really frustrating part is that this was reviewed 24 days ago, the expansion to my existing ONE case is showing as "in stock" on Argon40's site, and yet the only way to get the site to allow me to attempt a purchase is if I'm buying more than just the one item. If I add another, it will happily charge me the $40 + shipping, but just one in the cart, and suddenly the shipping estimator stops working.

This is the kind of thing that had me buying the original case through Amazon instead, but they don't have it there yet, and I'm itching to get hold of one of these! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.