'ARK: Survival Evolved' DirectX 12 Patch Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Kincaid

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Dang it. Downloaded this to try it out. I want to see how a big open world runs with dx12 since it seems like that would be the type of game to benefit most. This game runs pretty poorly as is, my hd7850 struggles at 1080p and all low settings.

Requesting driver assistance for an early access title not expected to release until mid-2016? Good luck with that.

Tried it out. Ate berries, defecated, ate that too, made some pants, and killed a few dinosaurs. rawr!

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
i will never understand the appeal of games like this.

Dinosaurs. They made a game based off what they loved about the Jurassic movies and made it a open world. Its a niche market. Some people love open world games others prefer the linear experience.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Thanks for not releasing a broken game, even if it it crashes with DX12 support. I wish others would follow your development teams mentality, as it seems many releases don't these days, even large AAA titles seem to release buggy broken games in order to release by a deadline, and work out the issues afterward leaving a jaded audience.

I agree with others, people debate whether a game should be patched prior to a release and potentially breaking the game or if they should roll the dice and hope that features like dx12 support work properly. Here's a novel concept, how about wait until a game is a finished product and THEN releasing it?

Ah the good ol' days. Sort of reminds me of buying a car - you know, the kind that has the steering wheel in place, all 4 wheels and all the doors on it rather than a frame, engine and only one axle installed.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I agree with others, people debate whether a game should be patched prior to a release and potentially breaking the game or if they should roll the dice and hope that features like dx12 support work properly. Here's a novel concept, how about wait until a game is a finished product and THEN releasing it?

Ah the good ol' days. Sort of reminds me of buying a car - you know, the kind that has the steering wheel in place, all 4 wheels and all the doors on it rather than a frame, engine and only one axle installed.

the thing is these small indie dev teams, don't have the money to support them selves while they finish the game. they'd go belly up before they finished if they didn't do the early access thing on steam or used kickstarter funds. Hell some major indie companies had to do both. Even crazier is what ahs happened to some major triple A companies that just sat on their game while developing it (3d realms). the fact is the gaming industry is more volatile than it ever has been in the past, fail to produce a game in X amount time and on x budget and you'll find yourself unable to finish what you started and out of work. Early access has been a boon for the indie game industry. I'd hate to see it go away.

bimbam360

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Great marketing tactic if a little underhand. Free weekend + 'We gona have DX12!'. Even if they missed with the DX12, I'm sure plenty of people who weren't even interested in the game downloaded it purely to have a look (I know I did -.-).

Unfortunately for them, mine c2d'd five times in a row at the main menu so I gave up. You get no dorrar from me Ark :p

Me and my friends had fun with it all day yesterday(Steam free weekend)! These guys are doing it right. I played on Medium settings for better frames with my GTX 770. The GTX 780 and GTX 970 had no trouble with it on High+ settings. There was some quirky-ness in parts but overall this game had us all sold. I went to eat and came back salivating for more ARK only to find the free-weekend over =(

Keep up the good work guys.... I will be watching and waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.