ARM and Cadence Tape Out First 14nm FinFET Test Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]I would like to know the estimated power used for on ARM15 with this technology![/citation]Uh, from X to Y? You know there's no single "ARM15 chip", and the various ARM15-equipped (and derivatives thereof) SoCs span a range of performance, power, and thermal targets. This process node will be no different.

G

Well that's nice. Intel taped out 14nm finfet 2 years ago and will deliver full products in late 2013/early 2014. This is a nice start for Samsang though.

[citation][nom]nuvon[/nom]Intel has a head start in this game[/citation]

Yes they do. Their lead has caused Global Foundries, TSMC, and Samsung to freak out. They're collectively skipping a node (20nm) simply because the 20nm finFET process cant compete with Intel's 22nm Tri-gate FET process.

G

colorMeUnimpressed: No they didn't, have you overdosed on the fanboy Kool-Aid? According to Google, they will be taping out their first 14nm test chip (ie: not a simple proof-of-concept SRAM) in early 2013. Without "process techology leadership", there are going to be a lot of sad Intel fanboys...

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
AMD is adding some ARM IP to some of it's processors. They're trying to move into the mobile marketspace because Intel is beating up on them a bit, not to mention the desktop is supposedly dying (it won't die out, but it was bound to lose some marketshare). All mega corps try to grab a slice of the biggest pie, it's a more secure strategy. Nobody wants to be the little business that caters on a small scale - which is funny because that's where the likes of ARM and AMD both got their roots. Going back to that is not something they want to do. Everyone likes money.

G

Wrong colorMeImpressed. Try a better source than "Google", LMAO! Come back next year and tell me all about Samsung's process... that doesn't exist! Intel hata's gonna hate.

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]AMD is adding some ARM IP to some of it's processors. They're trying to move into the mobile marketspace because Intel is beating up on them a bit, not to mention the desktop is supposedly dying (it won't die out, but it was bound to lose some marketshare). All mega corps try to grab a slice of the biggest pie, it's a more secure strategy. Nobody wants to be the little business that caters on a small scale - which is funny because that's where the likes of ARM and AMD both got their roots. Going back to that is not something they want to do. Everyone likes money.[/citation]
AMD is using ARM in the server space, not mobile. Their X86 is plenty powerful enough there. ARM in microserver in combination with SeaMicro freedom fabric will blow IBM and Intel out of the water when it comes to small website serving. That's why they're doing it.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
You are correct Dozerman, however you will find speculation around the web as to whether or not they'll be doing the same with mobile. Arm's architecture already has a foothold and AMD's shoe in will have to use this, or software devs won't be quick to pick them up. Having no marketshare and trying to get some is tough, because software development is costly and time consuming.

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]You are correct Dozerman, however you will find speculation around the web as to whether or not they'll be doing the same with mobile. Arm's architecture already has a foothold and AMD's shoe in will have to use this, or software devs won't be quick to pick them up. Having no marketshare and trying to get some is tough, because software development is costly and time consuming.[/citation]

I can absolutely see them making it into the mobile arena eventually. It's just that your post left me with the impression that you thought that AMD's most recent announcement about ARM was that they were making mobile chips, not server chips. I've been dealing with too many morons lately. My mind kind of jumps to "they must be wrong" automatically now.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]dozerman[/nom]I can absolutely see them making it into the mobile arena eventually. It's just that your post left me with the impression that you thought that AMD's most recent announcement about ARM was that they were making mobile chips, not server chips. I've been dealing with too many morons lately. My mind kind of jumps to "they must be wrong" automatically now.[/citation]

"OMG, someone on the internet is wrong? Gladys did you read this? Come here honey, you have to see this. I can't come to bed babe, someone on the internet might be WRONG!"

That's why I left it vague. "ARM IP" and "some of it's processors". I speak what I know is relevant or barely on my mind. In all honesty, technology is a lot like people. Both only matter to those who deem them important. The universe goes on with its numerical turmoil with or without us.

Status
Not open for further replies.