ARM Announces Mali-T800 Series GPUs, New Video Accelerator And Display Processor, Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I always thought it'd be cool if someone made a GPU out of ARM cores, similar to what Intel tried to do with x86 cores in its il-fated Larrabee. True, they did eventually come up with Xeon Phi, but it had long ago lost any aspiration of ever being a graphics card.

I actually thought AMD might have been heading in this direction, when the ARM rumors first started bubbling up. It seemed like an interesting play to address GPGPU, if you could bolt big vector units onto a sea of comparatively simple in-order ARM cores.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone will ever build a desktop T-860 based graphics card. Seems unlikely, but I would consider buying one for the novelty and maybe to stick in a server box as a lower-power replacement for its current GPU.

anthony8989

Distinguished
I hate when they compare current chips to two or three generations old chips. What sense does that make?

My smartphone is 1000x more powerful than the computers NASA used to land man on the moon. What relevance does that translate to??

anthony8989

Distinguished
I hate when they compare current chips to two or three generations old chips. What sense does that make?

My smartphone is 1000x more powerful than the computers NASA used to land man on the moon. What relevance does that translate to??

anthony8989

Distinguished

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
So it seems that next Tegra based on maxwell cores will be most efficient and advanced with dx12 api compatibility and upto 2x performance per watt on same node.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
So it seems that next Tegra based on maxwell cores will be most efficient and advanced with dx12 api compatibility and upto 2x performance per watt on same node.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
"beneficial to smartphone customers if there are three ISA's competing"

Ejem ... I would not call competition when one of those ISA's has 99% market share.
Maybe imagination, having a licensing model similar to ARM may grab some market share. Hoewever, x86 has failed to get a significant market share. AFAIK Intel has been trying since 2010 and has failed to get beyond 1% market share (besides being a division that generates big loses for Intel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS