ARM Announces New Mali-T604 Embedded GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
ARM has been working away quietly while Intel, AMD and IBM have been hogging all the limelight. Now that the era of powerful small and efficient processors has dawned ARM has the right business model and the right processors, it can move faster than its competitors and has a ten year lead on them in the fastest growing market on the planet. I would expect Nvidia, AMD and Intel to nibble at the edges of the market, but they will be fighting over the scraps falling from ARM's table.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Its amazing the progress this company made. I agree that in a few years they will be another beast in the ring with Intel and AMD for marketshare.

crymsonpheonix

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]elel[/nom]ARM beating intel to a DX11 gpu? Wow![/citation]

Have you ever used Intel graphics solutions? especially say, the 8xx or 9xx series (pre core i3/5/7).

[citation][nom]lukeeu[/nom]cool now all we need is Microsoft to release DirectX for Android and iOS[/citation]

Don't hold your breath.

More interesting to me is no mention of OpenGL support, since Windows is the only thing that runs on DX11, and Android is the big boy on the block for tablets.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]crymsonpheonix[/nom]Have you ever used Intel graphics solutions? especially say, the 8xx or 9xx series (pre core i3/5/7).Don't hold your breath.More interesting to me is no mention of OpenGL support, since Windows is the only thing that runs on DX11, and Android is the big boy on the block for tablets.[/citation]
Yes, I have a netbook with a GMA950 - not so much fun.
And I agree with you that openGL will be much more important than directX on this part. Actually, openCL is interesting also - glad to see the standard gaining traction.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]Why does the name T604 reminds me of Terminator just a lil' bit lol?[/citation]
I thought the same thing! It will become self aware sooner or later.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]crymsonpheonix[/nom]More interesting to me is no mention of OpenGL support, since Windows is the only thing that runs on DX11, and Android is the big boy on the block for tablets.[citation]

ARM's website states " API Support:
-OpenGL ES 1.1, 2.0
-OpenVG 1.1
-OpenCL 1.1, 1.2
-DirectX

Full support for next-generation and legacy
2D/3D graphics applications"

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dEAne[/nom]intel will be hurt with this one.[/citation]
not really...intel has other processors and it does not really care about mobile computing very much

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]ARM has been working away quietly while Intel, AMD and IBM have been hogging all the limelight. Now that the era of powerful small and efficient processors has dawned ARM has the right business model and the right processors, it can move faster than its competitors and has a ten year lead on them in the fastest growing market on the planet. I would expect Nvidia, AMD and Intel to nibble at the edges of the market, but they will be fighting over the scraps falling from ARM's table.[/citation]
ARM is purely a design house that licenses their to manufacturers. They're totally fabless, unlike Intel and IBM. As for Nvidia, they already have an ARM-based chip in Tegra/Tegra II. Tegra and designs by PowerVR are what ARM is up against here with this graphics chip, since those are what you usually get in the way of graphics with ARM-based SoCs.
AMD so far has no real ARM-coupled graphics solution, but they aren't aiming for anything in the space that ARM occupies (low performance but extremely low power, like smartphones, PMPs and tablets). They're just now putting out solutions for netbook-like devices, after years of letting Geode languish. Their real market is servers, and after that desktops/laptops. Intel is the one that's working its way down into ARM's turf, while ARM is now working up to meet Intel at the Atom level.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
"ARM is purely a design house that licenses their to manufacturers. They're totally fabless,"

Exactly they have the right business model, they like Nike in the sportswear field can react faster than the opposition due to this disconnection from the manufacturing. Their only weakness is their susceptibility to a buy out by Apple, Intel or god forbid MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.