ARM CEO Says Windows 8 Tablets Might Have Edge Over Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]Familiarity with metro? ARM windows will have NOTHING in common with other versions.[/citation]

You mean it's 100% different? No similarities whatsoever? I dunno about you, but I'd MUCH prefer Windows over anything.

mkanada

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
- Windows for ARM
- Android for x86
- ARM servers

Is the old dream about OS and hardware independency near to come true?

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]You mean it's 100% different? No similarities whatsoever? I dunno about you, but I'd MUCH prefer Windows over anything.[/citation]
No "legacy" desktop on ARM.

Can you name one similar thing besides the name?

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Most of the code.And Office.[/citation]

Users don't actually interact with code, so a similar codebase means nothing to users.

And Office isn't part of windows.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I have a hard time getting excited about a W8 tablet/smartphone. Not sure why, I build my own computers, have a killer gaming rig, know W7 inside out. In short, I'm not a windows hater by any means.

I also own Xoom and a Bionic. I love the simplicity of Android and how it natively it incorporates gmail, calender etc. I don't need full Office Suite either on my portable devices, Kingsoft Office for Android works just fine for me.

MS has a tough road head.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]No "legacy" desktop on ARM.Can you name one similar thing besides the name?[/citation]
The old style desktop on a tablet makes basically no sense. And anybody using Windows 8 will immediately recognize the tablet interface, which is literally the same damn thing (Metro).

So, almost everything from a Windows 8 PC will be preset and look identical on a Windows 8 tablet. Power users who avoid Metro like the plague will surely see the two platforms very differently, but the average Joe won't.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
He is right, however its will most likely be the x86 atom that power them now that Intel manage to get the power draw down, next gen atoms with the new shrink + 3gate as well as tweaks will be interesting to say the least for tablets/phones. The benefits for the buyer are so obvious its ridiculous!

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]The old style desktop on a tablet makes basically no sense. And anybody using Windows 8 will immediately recognize the tablet interface, which is literally the same damn thing (Metro).So, almost everything from a Windows 8 PC will be preset and look identical on a Windows 8 tablet. Power users who avoid Metro like the plague will surely see the two platforms very differently, but the average Joe won't.[/citation]

So somehow Metro is going to suddenly become a big hit on desktops, even though there is the familiar desktop interface?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]So somehow Metro is going to suddenly become a big hit on desktops, even though there is the familiar desktop interface?[/citation]
Huh? I'm not making any claims about popularity. I'm saying that people will recognize the thing that's staring them in the face every time they turn on their computers. I doubt the average computer user will even know the old desktop is there. Hell, most of them don't even know it's called the desktop, and I've heard people call the computer case the desktop on more occasions than I can count (only mistake more common is calling it the CPU).

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
One of the biggest complaints of Microsoft is fragmentation. In Windows and IOS, it is not a problem. Windows work hand and foot with the hardware manufacturers to make sure that their drivers will work for their OS. Google, with the exception for their nexus phones, doesn't get involved hardware at all. Perhaps Microsoft can exploit this opportunity in order make Windows 8 work despite what kind of phone or tablet you have.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Huh? I'm not making any claims about popularity. I'm saying that people will recognize the thing that's staring them in the face every time they turn on their computers. I doubt the average computer user will even know the old desktop is there. Hell, most of them don't even know it's called the desktop, and I've heard people call the computer case the desktop on more occasions than I can count (only mistake more common is calling it the CPU).[/citation]

So you think that average computer users will recognize the start screen/menu more than all of the applications that they ALREADY use?
I use my start menu to start applications, which is the purpose of the start menu.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]So you think that average computer users will recognize the start screen/menu more than all of the applications that they ALREADY use?I use my start menu to start applications, which is the purpose of the start menu.[/citation]
No, try reading what I wrote next time.

I'm saying that Windows 8 users, who see the Metro interface EVERY TIME THEY TURN ON OR UNLOCK THE COMPUTER will recognize that same interface on a tablet. You are presented that interface literally every time you sit down at the computer. The average person will just roll with it. You need to understand that your use cases and proclivity for the old start menu are not universal.

I also didn't say anything about which they'd recognize more, which is irrelevant anyway. Why are you getting so aggressive over this?

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]No, try reading what I wrote next time.I'm saying that Windows 8 users, who see the Metro interface EVERY TIME THEY TURN ON OR UNLOCK THE COMPUTER will recognize that same interface on a tablet. You are presented that interface literally every time you sit down at the computer. The average person will just roll with it. You need to understand that your use cases and proclivity for the old start menu are not universal.I also didn't say anything about which they'd recognize more, which is irrelevant anyway. Why are you getting so aggressive over this?[/citation]

I guess you're right. They'll recognize the critically important 5-second unlock process.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Android tablets are done once W8 Tablets hit the market. What's the point of buying an Android based tablet...it's just an oversized Droid. A W8 tablet will run real software with a real OS. The iPad will always be around because of the iSheep and even RIM's Playbook will probably stick around because of business/government use but Android tablets are done.[/citation]

Actually, both Android and W8 will have a bigger fish to fry, Apple and it's high popularity. Ever checked what the lines are like when Apple announces new phones or tablets?

I'd love to see some lawsuit wars between Microsoft and Apple though. The clash of the giants...

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Just a short story from my life as an unofficial IT guy. A girl yesterday came to my office to help her install some software on her Linux laptop that's running Ubuntu. Couple of days ago I also helped her install some other software on her Linux laptop. This time I noticed that the software that I installed couple of days ago was gone, so I asked her what happened with it. She answered me that she had made a clean install because some things weren't working properly. :/

A note to those who aren't "adept" in Linux affairs. You reinstall your Linux system only when you seriously screw up something up. If something's not working properly you fix it.

My point is who's gonna reinstall win8 on your tablets once they start catching viruses and they will.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Ever since xp I stopped using the start menu once they made it contain folders it lost its purpose. I just put shortcuts all over the desktop.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]I guess you're right. They'll recognize the critically important 5-second unlock process.[/citation]
Jesus, you're desperate to prove there will be no brand recognition between tablet and desktop environments, aren't you?

If you've actually used Windows 8, then you'd know that AFTER the computer unlocks, you are presented with the metro interface. You cannot disable it. You cannot prevent it from showing up. If you want the old desktop, you have to launch it FROM the Metro interface first. Nothing to do at all with the unlock process, but everything to do with how Windows 8 operates at a basic level. Metro is there, and you're going to see it. A lot.

You may just launch the desktop every time you sit down (I did exactly that when I was using the developer preview last year), but like I said, your needs and desires aren't universal. You're obviously pretty hostile to Metro, and I get that. I've seen the same resistance (and put up a fair bit myself) among Windows power users. But most people really don't care.

Most people will just do what's simplest, and that's not clicking the desktop icon, then clicking the start button, then programs, then find what they want in a list. Instead, they'll just click the icon from the Metro interface to begin with. Clever ones might even realize you can just start typing to filter what's shown and get to what they want faster.

You seem to have decided that nobody will ever use Metro, and thus nobody would ever recognize it. I'm sorry, but Metro is how Microsoft sees the future of Windows, and they're going to ram it down your throat whether you want it or not.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]rex86[/nom] A note to those who aren't "adept" in Linux affairs. You reinstall your Linux system only when you seriously screw up something up. If something's not working properly you fix it. My point is who's gonna reinstall win8 on your tablets once they start catching viruses and they will.[/citation]
You obviously haven't familiarized yourself with W8's 'refresh and reset' tools. NONE of which require delving into incomprehensible config files to do simple fixes.
Linux still simply isn't ready for desktop use, and most likely won't ever be and people like yourself who appear to be forcing ppl to use it as their work OS are just giving it a badder name than it already has.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Jesus, you're desperate to prove there will be no brand recognition between tablet and desktop environments, aren't you?If you've actually used Windows 8, then you'd know that AFTER the computer unlocks, you are presented with the metro interface. You cannot disable it. You cannot prevent it from showing up. If you want the old desktop, you have to launch it FROM the Metro interface first. Nothing to do at all with the unlock process, but everything to do with how Windows 8 operates at a basic level. Metro is there, and you're going to see it. A lot.You may just launch the desktop every time you sit down (I did exactly that when I was using the developer preview last year), but like I said, your needs and desires aren't universal. You're obviously pretty hostile to Metro, and I get that. I've seen the same resistance (and put up a fair bit myself) among Windows power users. But most people really don't care.Most people will just do what's simplest, and that's not clicking the desktop icon, then clicking the start button, then programs, then find what they want in a list. Instead, they'll just click the icon from the Metro interface to begin with. Clever ones might even realize you can just start typing to filter what's shown and get to what they want faster.You seem to have decided that nobody will ever use Metro, and thus nobody would ever recognize it. I'm sorry, but Metro is how Microsoft sees the future of Windows, and they're going to ram it down your throat whether you want it or not.[/citation]
I've used the Dev preview, and frankly, the start screen is just like a glorified start menu. It works for that pretty well, but I don't plan on spending a terribly long time before clicking or tapping on some App I want to use. It is important, but not a central feature of the UX.

Status
Not open for further replies.