ARM Doesn't See Intel as a Competitive Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
By the time the intel phones show up on the market, intel will be behind by a small margin again. Intel can compete but their first chips won't take much from ARM. I will however be interested in intel's next chips, this one not so much, app compatibility is a big problem too.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Intel has "too much" resources, and is actively trying to create many more enemies (competitions), it might be wise in the long term, but it could also be very bad news if something horrible come on, e.g. being gang banged by the "alliance" of competitions or even intel's own fk up.
"New" / "Newer" projects, SSD (potential new controller), Ultra"fail"book, mobile chips, "somewhat" still cannot be improved graphics, new CPU architecture, and long term advance material research...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And another company that underestimates Intel at its core business - Historically resulting in that Intel will put in the overdrive and make a huge leap (Core2 thanks to Amd's underestimation for example) and now it would seem it is about to happens again (this time the leap is thanks to Arm).

As omega21xx said, the next gen of phone cpu's from Intel will be way more interesting even when the current was able to beat the current competition in most benchmark without drawing loads of power. The next atom get the benefits of Intel's advanced manufacturing and likely several tweaks to improve efficiency. The biggest question fis if Intel will use the extra headroom from the shrinkage ect to boost performance or lower the already in line battery requirements even further.

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Either Chu is lieing or he is a complete fool. Intel while still behind have the financial backing and the will to spend on R&D to gain a better foothold in this market, only a fool would discount them.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
It seems to me that by the time the atom chip comes out that ARM chips will be about as good, or better, and will have a gazillion more apps, plus they will have a better track record of energy efficiency. So I'm not so sure ARM is wrong. Of course you can't underestimate Intel, but so far the Atom based chip just does not say much to me. If anything atom has such a crappy reputation that I'm not sure anyone really wants it in their phone.

G

southernshark, Medfield is just chip 1, there will be a lot more to come in 2013 when Intel updates the ATOM architecture and goes all 22nm Tri-gate on ARM. The competition is just beginning.

KardisF1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
AMD had been in a superior position (albeit they pulled ahead of Intel instead of starting out ahead) during the P4 days, and they lost that to Intel. ARM's architecture is more towards lower power consumption, where x86 is geared toward raw strength. I think that optimizing for power consumption will be a relatively easy task for Intel, given their R&D. Lastly, ARM doesn't manufacture their own CPU's, so they have less control of what's on the market.

G

PCs are changing from a desktop/notebook form factor into a mobile device that fits in your pocket, has more power than today's workstations, and runs for weeks on a single charge, is always connected. Things like keyboards, mice, displays, printers, scanners, etc will all be wirelessly connected. You can bet that Intel is not going to miss out on this.

I'm with Intel on this one... I personally hope ARM pulls something out of their sleeves but I'm thinking Intel will win like they usually do. It may be a slow victory but it will probably be a victory anyway.

Just think about it, Intel has huge engineering prows like this very article says and Intel also controls their fabs so either the chip can be designed specifically for the fab or even the other way around. Intel has more parts of the puzzle of getting a working chip out into the market and thus can do this much faster and with greater quality with considerable ease. Just look how often Intel has made significant changes to their chips over the last few years as evidence that Intel really can do a huge amount of work in short periods of time.

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Well I hope this is just a face for the public, because overconfidence is never a good thing. Well here's to hopping for a solid competition between the two companies for years to come.

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Intel will probably have a more successful experience in the mobile mobile market than ARM will in the computer world. ARM simply cant take on the two different styles of AMD and Intel at the same time. Intel, on the other hand, will be able to create powerful and efficient (somehow) processors for the mobile world that will attract even tight buyers. After all, the mobile world is growing at an extraordinary rate and will be interesting to see how much of a push Intel can make.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Intel can take a large loss on their first several versions. After they have been in the market for a while (they will have a rather large lead) "apps" and followers will come. They just need time in the market their large pockets can sustain them. They dont have to worry about failure, ARM on the other hand has many competitors, out of house fab, and a fraction of the money. Arm only has what they can lose.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
it is not wrong to have x86 chip on a phone, being able to take out ur old programs back from Pentium3/p4 era and run on ur phone seems too cool to ignore. if Intel manage to get to ARM power level, I'll pick Intel anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.