News Arm Holdings CEO expects Arm chips to capture 50% or more of PC market space by 2029

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I just want to point out that this is almost certainly aimed at investors and OEMs. He needs to hype up their prospects, both to keep investors on board and to keep OEMs engaged and pushing out competitive products.

Do I think it'll happen? Probably not, but I do think they will gain some traction and have some staying power.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
I just want to point out that this is almost certainly aimed at investors and OEMs. He needs to hype up their prospects, both to keep investors on board and to keep OEMs engaged and pushing out competitive products.

Do I think it'll happen? Probably not, but I do think they will gain some traction and have some staying power.
100% agree. ARM isn't going to replace gaming rigs any time soon, nor do I see any products catering to mainstream builders (Ampere doesn't count), but ARM's efficiency means it will inherently win in the mobile PC sector and then, more slowly, overtake x86 as it's scaled up. Whether that happens before RISC-V is another story.

Intel and AMD would have to basically stop making new CPUs or shift their mobile lines to Arm for this to happen. Intel already has their first response to Arm coming this year and AMD is leveraging Zen 5c efficiency for mobile across their stack. I have no doubt there's a place in the market for Arm, but there's no sign that the incumbents are going to stop innovating and the thought of Arm being able to muscle in enough to basically double AMD's current marketshare is laughable.

Reactions: jlake3

Jagar123

Prominent
Dec 28, 2022
I don't get this hype. He is saying all of this based on unreleased product. You got your cart before the horse there buddy. This all just reeks of marketing and corporate speak.

Reactions: jlake3