ARM: It Wouldn't Make Sense for Apple to Buy Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
The thought of the most successful microprocessor company in the world being bought by a mere computer manufacturer gives me the Shivers. I hope Warren is correct and Apple is not looking to buy.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
It won't happen. People already have the ARM licenses that go out for at least 5 years or more. It won't lock people from using the technology. And even if, in the off chance, that they do decide to buy ARM, the length of these licenses gives others to develop their own technologies like Nvidia.

jerfle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
"played down the reports and reminded people that it's much cheaper for Apple to license ARM technology instead of purchasing the company"

Ask AMD how much money is needed for all in house chip manufacturing. The fab plants almost up ended them.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It would be kind of ironic. Apple's first computers were based on the 6502 processor, ARM based some of their design on the 6502.

But, there's one question to ask - does Apple really want to compete against Intel????? Does anyone, besides IBM maybe, want to compete against Intel? Ask AMD how easy it's been the past few years.

If Apple wanted to do their stuff in house for their small devices, they could just start from scratch. Too many people have licenses to ARM, and at any rate the instruction set is old.

None of this makes any sense. Why would Apple want them? To be proprietary, they can't buy a company that licenses and has licensed their processor designs. If not, then just license it, it's a lot cheaper.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]SHIT 41 BILLION[/citation]

All donated faithfully by the church of apple followers.

It does say something about how unfairly a company is pricing its products when you hear about 41% profit margins and cash reserves of 41 billion.

I suppose the price does help keep a lot of people out of considerable danger of viruses, if they were priced at the same level, tech for tech, as PCs, more people would buy them, and the internet would become a complete web of traps for macs.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]I suppose the price does help keep a lot of people out of considerable danger of viruses, if they were priced at the same level, tech for tech, as PCs, more people would buy them, and the internet would become a complete web of traps for macs.[/citation]
I don't think that's got much to do with it. Apple has such a small market share that it's just not as lucrative a target for hackers. If apple ever gets a serious chunk I'm sure you'll start seeing apple worms a plenty.

On a side note, apple owners are probably all broke from giving all their money to apple; so what's left to steal from them?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]On a side note, apple owners are probably all broke from giving all their money to apple; so what's left to steal from them?[/citation]

Apple owners seem to be high in resources and low in common sense. Kinda like athletes, music artists, actors, a politicians. As long as they have money, they don't care what they spend it on.

I seriously doubt Apple would buy ARM. ARM has a lot of customers, and a lot of technology. I don't understand why Apple would want to pay money for a company that does most of their business with other people. Seriously, why buy a whole dairy when you only need one cow?

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
5 year wait out for license to expire... buy ARM would spell the end for many devices that use it .. just like Apple putting Final Cut Pro for Windows ( or linux for that matter) in the coffin .. Logic for Windows died with the acquisition of that company .. an now a processor company ? I think the apple is giving birth to a worm.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The surprising thing is the Apple investors aren't demanding a dividend with all that money. 41 Billion is a lot of money to be sitting on for a rainy day. If I were an investor, I'd be pretty annoyed that I wasn't getting some of that in a dividend. What else are they going to do with it? 41 Billion is so much. Maybe they'll start their own financing company or something, which would make next to no sense. Still, it makes more sense than just sitting on it.

G

ARM: It Wouldn't Make Sense for Apple to Buy Us
Exactly! Everybody already knows Acorn Computers invented the ARM chip and not Apple. Why would Apple want to buy ARM if everybody knows that?

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]SHIT 41 BILLION[/citation]

That's, er, $12 billion less than Bill Gates' personal wealth.

Profit made from Windows shills.

Apple already own shares in ARM, they helped finance the ARM from the start. They used to have a larger share holding before Jobs' restructuring of Apple assets.

3ul

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Apple owners seem to be high in resources and low in common sense. Kinda like athletes, music artists, actors, a politicians. As long as they have money, they don't care what they spend it on.I seriously doubt Apple would buy ARM. ARM has a lot of customers, and a lot of technology. I don't understand why Apple would want to pay money for a company that does most of their business with other people. Seriously, why buy a whole dairy when you only need one cow?[/citation]

This is Apple we talking about, or more accurate Steve Job. Did't you get the idea??

G

Even here in Crappy interest rate England, that is nearly 200,000,000 earned a month interest, hell, promise it is not just sitting on its 41 Bil, its earning a very very nice income from it without having to lift a finger!!!

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
"On a side note, apple owners are probably all broke from giving all their money to apple; so what's left to steal from them? "

Obama has a plan to get the rest.

"If you make less than $250,000 a year, your taxes will not increase by one dime. What's that? Oh, $25,000. Huh? Oh, ok, yes... $250."

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
That would be bad for the phone industry. After all if apple controlled one of the major processor companies that supplies their rivals it could force those companies to dance to their tune.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]I don't think that's got much to do with it. Apple has such a small market share that it's just not as lucrative a target for hackers. If apple ever gets a serious chunk I'm sure you'll start seeing apple worms a plenty.On a side note, apple owners are probably all broke from giving all their money to apple; so what's left to steal from them?[/citation]

Unfairly? Why? Only products that people really need and are dependant on and that have few or no alternatives can be priced unfairly, like food, gasoline, hospital care etc.

None really needs apples products, there are plenty of alternatives/options. It's like saying Ferrari, Armani etc. all price their products unfairly (and no, I don't care if you think apple is like Ferrari or Lada).

How about parker? They make some quite expensive pens!! UNFAIR PRICES!!!!! AAHHH!!!!

Get real....

Status
Not open for further replies.