ARM Launches Cortex-R Processors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]ARM: "We have come to aid the consumer"Intel:"Can't let you do that ARM!"[/citation]
ARM vs. CORE thus began the war of Total Annihilation that would consume galaxies for over a millenia!
ok time to scratch the itch to play some old school TA.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Yes, x86 does a lot of things in hardware that RISC doesn't. For example, x86 actually have string manipulation instructions like the STOS instruction for example. RISC shouldn't cause code bloat because each RISC instruction takes less memory to store, and even if there is some small increase in code size performance shouldn't take a hit. Keep in mind that all modern x86 CPUs don't actually run x86 instructions natively, they actually have a set of decoders that convert the x86 instructions to "micro-ops", which are basically RISC instructions.

Also it's not really feasible to start hacking instructions out of the x86 instruction set. Back during the 16-32-bit transition and again during the 32-64bit transition a number of archaic instructions were removed, but to start hacking away at the ISA just to wring some extra performance isn't going to work. Besides, what about all the legacy software that isn't maintained anymore and as a result wouldn't be recompiled.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Woo go ARM! I hope that at least one company can stay ahead of AMD and Intel in the mobile market in terms of ARM performance.[/citation]

I fully expect that when ARM is HUGE that people will call ARM users ARM-sheep. Mark my words!!! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.