ARM Launches Mali-450 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
[citation][nom]ewood[/nom]depending what power consumption is, put it in phones![/citation]

To be honest with youm i dont think that the SoC in phones is what determinates the battery life, i say its the screen, put the brightness in 0% and you get 8-9 hours of battery life but if you put it in 100% you barely get 5.5-6 hours

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
There will be several questions about how it will do vs a discrete card. Lets just say its like comparing a Ferrari to a Toyota Prius where the Ferraris is the the discrete card made for maximum performance while the Prius is made for maximum efficiency - Both have their places and target audiences! I rather have a Ferrari in my desktop but don't want 2 sec's of battery life in the pad and there is where this gpu belongs!

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
For mobile phones, shrinking the die size is important. From a power perspective, you could design a chip to run slower when on battery and faster when plugged-in (Up to the thermal limits possible in the phone’s design). This can lead to possible wireless external displays that can utilize the phones computational power remotely. Just like the announced ASUS Transformer AIO, the phone can be the computer using a larger wireless external touch display.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]aqualipt[/nom]To be honest with youm i dont think that the SoC in phones is what determinates the battery life, i say its the screen, put the brightness in 0% and you get 8-9 hours of battery life but if you put it in 100% you barely get 5.5-6 hours[/citation]
I wouldn't normally respond to a post like this but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Screen brightness does impact battery life if the screen draws a lot of power, however, the CPU/GPU on the phone can and will draw a massive amount of total power from the battery when fully taxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.