ARM to Challenge Intel's Dominance in Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Till then AMD LLano APU will dominate the entry-level or midrange (

Tyler-767

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I don't think ARM will have much of an effect on Intel's market share. I think ARM will be taking its piece of the pie from AMD. ARM is going into AMD's territory with low price "best bang for the buck" segments. If bulldozer cant compete with a high end ivy bridge chip, ARM will eat away at entry level AMD just as Intel's graphics cores are eating away at entry level Nvidia.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I think that by the end of 2012 AMD will have eaten up quite a big part of intels share with its llano platform. Its already getting alot of attention and notebook makers will be stupid to not see the profits in llano. I really cant see ARM doing anything yet since theyre practically invisible outside the mobile market. We cant make any predictions on ARM yet. And even if they fair well against intel CPUs, the llano platform is too much for its competitors to compete with in the low-mid range market.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm all for it since it will certainly bring costs down. Intel is now pushing a CPU performance envelope that doesn't really need to expand. Greater GPU power is the future of the mobile market, CPU's are powerful enough to do just about anything as-is. Perhaps Intel's days are numbered. . .

Maybe we'll have a stiff three-way competition in the lower range where all three companies have introduced low-power, thin-profile processors.

As for ARM's ability to compete in the mid/high-range segment, that's still an unknown factor.

Let's just hope that benchmarks won't artificially cap ARM CPU's performance like it does with AMD.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Not entirely surprising, the performance of chips is increasing faster than the amount of resources required to run software.

With the exception of games where graphical requirements has become a nuclear arms race, ordinary software certainly doesn't follow the Moore's Law, so we have got to the point where entry level products are now capable of running what used to be fairly hefty programs.

The only way Intel is going to wrestle this back is if they can influence software vendors to bloat up their new releases year on year to match their new CPUs.

Won't happen, so then Intel has to convince us to buy their products on the same playing field as everyone else and charge less money.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Well, it certainly looks interesting, at least from the power consumption perspective. Sure, ARM processors need to get beefier which will in turn drive power consumption higher (think multiple cores), but let's not forget that they need also undergo successive die shrinks.

We've come to expect reasonable performance and day-long battery life.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
This is just another example of a independent research firm with NO technical knowledge spouting off. Windows 8 supports ARM because Microsoft tablets will run a version of Windows 8. And currently ARM is the only tablet CPU in the market.

Anyone who thinks this will supplant any kind of real x86 market share is simply talking out of their ass. ARM chips are woefully under-powered compared to a an x86 CPU. Throw in the fact that NO software for PC's is being written for the ARM arch. So, woefully under-powered CPU emulating x86 software. I don't think so.

ivu

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Bulldozer shows (even on pre tests) incredible strength against EVEN Intels high-end Cpus, and all graphics segments turned to Ati-AMDs side... Arm is just a bitter try form Nvidia and Qualcomm and TI alliance.

Watch next year from AMD how they compete... time for change lads.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Llano benchmarks are horrid. i3 plus an entry level discrete GPU will blow Llano out of the water. Llano might work well in W8 tablets but that's about it.[/citation]

you are right, but Llano costs as much or less then core i3 so you cannot create entry level prieced notebook with i3+discrete graphics card...

G

I'm not so sure that ARM will end up being as much of a challenger to x86 as some are predicting. The main problem with ARM going up against x86 is that even though Windows 8 will have ARM support, most programs are still written for x86 Windows and would have to be recompiled at the least if not rewritten for a new processor architecture. The exceptions would of course be stuff that runs on java or .net

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Considering the fact that ARM is mostly unknown outside of tech circles, don't expect to see Intel loose in such a short amount of time. Given a choice between an Intel (who advertises very aggressively) based system, an AMD (who's advertisements are limited to stickers and ads on tech sites and magazines) and ARM (who is completely unknown to the average consumer, most "average consumers" are going to go with Intel due to familiarity with the brand. Given that nVidia's reputation and brand has been associated almost exclusively with graphics cards, most consumers are going to be leary of adopting a processor with their name stamped on it. Support has always, and will always be the biggest driving force. Until ARM has had processors in the consumer computing space for a while and has proven their products to have the same level of support as Intel products, most consumers aren't going to migrate. This is the same reason most "average consumers" are reluctant to migrate to 64bit....

Tycho2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Heaps of people are saying this will not happen in 4 years because arm processors are low power, now. That's now, and in the past. Arm processor are developing quickly it should only be a matter of time till they catch up (and overtake?) Intel considering how terrible x86 is as an architecture. x86 has to die sooner or later. Frankly the sooner the better.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
The reason why netbooks were popular was because they were portable, had good battery life, and could run x86 Windows applications. The netbooks that were portable, had good battery life, but ran x86 Linux applications were returned to the stores in droves...

Unless you have a way to run your favorite programs, that you already paid/have licenses for, your platform will likely not be successful.

MacBooks took off when they 1st established their name with the popular iPod and iTunes, and 2nd, started using x86 compatible Intel processors. Once, 3rd, bootcamp 'happened', there was nothing holding users from caving to the marketing hype, and being able to have the 'best of both worlds' (sans cost).

Unless there is some kind of superior emulation, or some serious recompiling of existing software for ARM, without cost to the users, ARM will not take off.

However, if the OS using ARM is an extension of the Android/iOS platform, and the users are able to use the same apps they already paid for on their phones with their notebooks, this may succeed.

G

@tycho2, you say its silly that people are basing future performance of ARM based on current performance and then infer that Intel (whose annual R&D budget probably dwarfs any other tech firm by a large large margin) cannot find a way to scale x86 down to low power environments? Despite having a 1 1/2 generation lead in lithography? That's some major one sided reasoning there.

Also remember when AMD made Athlon 64 and seemed to have Intel on their knees? What did Intel do? They created the Core family of processors and have been uncontested in terms of perf and wattage since. I'd place good money on Intel being able to replicate that feat in the face of renewed competition (either from AMD or ARM).

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
ARM would be nice to use in probably any everyday application of use for the hardware. Given that alot of ARM based use apply within application specific interests if i remember correctly.

Isnt that where like some of the newer OS having been coming from?

Just of it, inclines the idea of that if you are going to be using ARM processors you are probably going to be using the devices in which they are deisnged in or around. And on Personal computing that probably would be a fair number of devices.

Dont get me wrong though, any says proc in a TV or something, my be considered personal computing devices on ideas of computing devices in use with you current computing system. But in a dependent state too either one, i dought very highly.

There are probably only a select actual ARM markets within the ARM market that are of anything to the idea of replacing an actual CPU in most desktops or laptops without a decent overhaul. Or revision.

But of it though is of very interesting ideas, given thoughts of CPU or proc designs and uses at least thats for sure. Especially on ideas of still older designs still hard to find, while newer ones are being made for sale. And new developers releases different aspects of the products.

Tycho2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
@jimbobthesailor that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying I don't think it's possible to scale x86 UPTO what arm will be capable of. Through no fault of intel, x86 just won't be capable of it. That's not so say intel won't/ can't produce a chip which could easily dominate arm, like in the Athlon64 scenario. I just don't think that chip will be x86.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS