ARM/x86 Hybrid AIO PC Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Hybrid this, hybrid that. What's the point of a low powered arm chip, if there's a x86 powerhog sitting next to you, sipping all your power supplies dry ?

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Why alt tab? I can think of plenty of key combinations that are available that I don't use on a regular basis. I don't want to switch to ARM when I'm trying to switch apps...

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
This makes more since if it switches automatically when you unplug it.

The TI OMAP is running Ubuntu LXDE, Midori Web Browser and Gimp. The PC is running Windows 7 Pro and Internet Explorer."

Ubuntu for Arm and Win7 for x86 sounds more like switch at boot by pressing Tab+Alt, not switch on the fly while you are using windows.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
thats switch apps command right? the command should be a one unused? good idea i guess... but its just a matter of time be intel releases there new atom platform for x86 (which i would like to roll over and die already) that can turn off the area's of the chip your not using which is better than put two in one machine when one can do the job right?

Tohos

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Would it not be better to have it seamlessly switch between the arm processor and the x86? Should be like Nvidia's optimus technology. I know I would get annoyed for switching between processors manually when my computer could do it automatically.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
this might also be a software level alt-tab. both operating systems could go to something sleep-like. and if you want to play a game or watch a movie you could switch to windows, and if you only need a browser ant im you could use. but i guess this technology wont roll out as fast as Network Computer. considering there are already gaming-on-demand services.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Hybrid this, hybrid that. What's the point of a low powered arm chip, if there's a x86 powerhog sitting next to you, sipping all your power supplies dry ?[/citation]
the key is that when you switch, the other processor doesn't take in any power. thats how these things work out my friend.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
"I only use the computer to write on ms word and to browse the interwebs, but when I alt-tab switch to ms word, ITS SO SLOW, this must be an error"
-over and over again...

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
So it's a tablet and notebook in one... I guess it would save you the space of carrying both, but not particularly interesting otherwise, especially when you consider how many things are simply always going to require Windows. I suspect people won't get as much use out of the low power mode as they think they will.

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]brother shrike[/nom]Why alt tab? I can think of plenty of key combinations that are available that I don't use on a regular basis. I don't want to switch to ARM when I'm trying to switch apps...[/citation]
I agree, why alt tab? I personally rather have a red NOS button or even the old school turbo button :)

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
This is genius but only if they work consecutive, i could easily run web server my torrents my teamspeak daemon and several other task on an ARM while doing my thing on the x86 part.

I don't need to monitor those always on services all day and i don't feel like running a second machine for it!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
That's actually pretty neat. If I know I need to go a few days or more without being able to charge a laptop, just switch to the ARM chip. Those ARM chips are pretty cheap, I wonder how much this will cost.

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
How is an application able to run on both chips?? I mean if X is compiled for x86... the binary won't run on ARM and vice versa... Can anyone shed some light on this?

hydraulicjj

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Sounds to me like someone married a netbook, a mid-range laptop and a KVM switch and then somehow got them both to use the same drive. XD
Either way I like the idea very much.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
It seems pretty cool. There are definitely times when I would prefer ARM risc over x86, especially when efficiency comes into play. Hybridization is good for me because common tasks like web browsing, E-mail, and instant messaging don`t need much if any real computing power. So for example if you`re flying to Australia on one charge, ARM will come in very handy.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Anyone else actually watch the video? There is a clear video transition on the recording each time they switch between. The only one that could be a real transition is when they power down windows and even then the screen flickers quite a bit as the laptop goes dark then lights up again which could just be the camera adjusting to the backlighting of the display but still looks rather odd.

G

I use ALT TAB for switching program windows.
Why not Alt Home or something?

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Why NOT use alt Tab ? If you consider the two subsystems as tasks it makes total sense. However I have to agree with the call of shenanigans on the "switching" demo. If you are gonna hawk your wares please no transitions and DUDE get a better microphone! ( ok back on point ) from reading it's two processing systems accessing the same chipset ( I would like to think of it as virtual computers at the hardware level instead of having 1 multi core CPU running VM you have multiple CPUS regardless of architecture running... I will wait and see .. could be interesting times think of it. an OSX/Windows, Linux/OSX or any mixture of the two running on a multi-cpu/multi-core workstation with no software or hardware limitations..... )

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
yannigr: the link you give links to motherboards that have both atom and a C2Q or C2D no ARM though. This is far from the same because both cup's are x86 so there are little to no changes needed to the chip set.

Status
Not open for further replies.