Arris TG2742 disassembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase8332

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
Has anyone taken the cover off of an Arris TG2742? I wanted to replace one of the internal antennas with a spare high gain external one but the plastic case doesn't seem to want to come apart, even with all 4 visible screws removed.

Reactions: Lamius

Chase8332

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Chase8332 : "Arris TG2472 Disassembly"

Has anyone taken apart the Arris TG2472 modem/router combo? I wanted to replace one internal antenna with a spare external high gain one but it is not yielding to my prying after the two side screws are removed and the small bottom ones appear useless. There is a seam in the bottom visible from the battery compartment (with a Warranty Void if Removed) sticker on it) but it seems like I would break the plastic trying to pry it apart.

Sep 17, 2019
Not sure if this is still a relevant question, but maybe this will help someone out down the line.

Tools I Used:
  • Philips Screwdriver
  • Spudger/Prying Device
  • Phone Opening Picks
(You really don't need anything but the screwdriver, the others can be substituted if necessary.)

After removing the 4 visible screws and the battery cover, gently peel up the big "ARRIS" sticker on the bottom. There are two screws hidden beneath it. Afterwards, that whole panel on the bottom comes off. Look for a very small seam separating it from the rest of the case. It's held in place by plastic clips, so be gentle while prying if you don't want to break them. Remove front panel where the status LEDs are in a similar manner. Finally, remove or cut the label in the back where the connection points are, and you can pry open the case itself from there.

P.S.
You can be a bit rough with it while prying, the case is surprisingly sturdy and there are no sensitive components directly in the prying spots. If you have any trouble or something in this post is incorrect, let me know so I can fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.