Artic 5 Thermal Paste Questions.....AMD Phenom

RunDougRun

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Hi Guys!
I just redid my thermal paste because my temps were getting out of line.....
The CPU Cooler def needed it (Black and missing it in some areas)

Anyways, I just reapplied the paste and my temps only dropped a few degrees.

Comp:
AMD Phenom IIx4 955 (Haven't started to re overclock yet) 3.2ghz
Zalman 9500a Cpu Cooler
Chaser A31 Case with 6 fans

I'm idle temps are around 42.....My office is anywhere between 75 and 78 depending.

Does this seem normal? Does this need to break in? Can I overclock before it's cured?

I was also going to get the Hyper 212 cooler but if it's only going to drop it a few degrees I rather save my money.......Seems like this chip runs hot......Or am I in the normal range

Solution

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Erm...

If my memory serves me well my 955BE slightly overclocked to 3.6 GHz was idling at about 36 and going to about 45 under stress. I hope I'm not mistaken.

I'm not sure if it's your cooler that is letting you down or is it maybe not well applied thermal paste?

RunDougRun

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Here is my cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223&cm_re=zalman_9500a-_-35-118-223-_-Product

Im sure it's mounted correctly....I followed AMD Suggestion of the "Pea Shaped Dot"......

I'm starting to think my cpu is bad........My office is warm though, so that might have something to do with it.....
Super frustrating.

I'm wondering if the Evo Hyper 212 will bring me better results......I don't want to waste money for a few degrees cooler

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

That cpu cooler is generally not used for overclocking, it's just a "quiet" solution for stock clocks.

If you want to overclock you will need a proper cooling solution.

Solution

RunDougRun

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

I installed the Hyper 212 and it instantly dropped the idle temps to 35c-37c which is already cooler. I hear that once the thermal paste cured it should drop even more.....Im just happy that the thing isn't as loud as the other one.

TRENDING THREADS