[SOLVED] Artifact-like issue but not sure if artifact

Zack T

Reputable
May 19, 2017
Sorry for the vague title, I'm not exactly sure what's going on.

I just recently built my new computer, as well as got a new 2K 144HZ monitor to enjoy it on.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/7qD2FT

There's all the parts with links just in case you need any more technical specs, but to sum it up in case you don't want to click the link:

Deep Cool Gamer Storm Baronkase Liquid with built in Deep Cool Captain 120mm AIO
Ryzen 7 - 3800x
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard
OLOy 16 GB (2x8) 3200 MHZ RAM
Silicon Power 1TB NVME
Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-730SS 730W Power Supply
ASUS Dual-Evo OC RTX 2080 Super
3 additional 120mm Apexia RGB case fans

Alright so, when I got everything up and running, I did some basic benchmark tests with Cinemark and MSI Kombuster but I haven't ran it through anything more than that. I was trying to find a nice spot to OC the card with, but it seemed like just about ANYTHING caused it to become unstable, so I gave up and left it at stock.

As for the CPU, I have PBO activated but that's all. No manual overclocking. RAM is in XMP profile, running at 3200 MHZ. Temperatures have been fine, GPU stays at about 62 to 65c under load after I put my own fan curve on there and the CPU stays at about 71 to 72c most of the time, sometimes 75.

I noticed artifacting in Overwatch, small black box occasionally appears in the top right corner of the screen when I first join a game and the character select screen is up. It doesn't do it after that, only that first character-select portion when you first join a game.

World of Warcraft, it doesn't like the water. The water textures look great most of the time, but every 10 seconds maybe less, it has a weird flash that goes all through any water textures.

Borderlands 3 treats water this same way.

Skyrim is the worst though, Skyrim's water is all over the place. I fast traveled to a river, and all of a sudden my character on it's horse started being jumped up and down, side to side, water freaking out, but the game not crashing. Not super playable cause I couldn't move much because of all the spasm'ing.

SO I thought I just got a bad card, started the RMA process, took it out and put my old computer's GTX 1080 in there (EVGA SC model). On my previous computer (Ryzen 1600x and this 1080), it NEVER had artifacting issues. But once I plugged that 1080 into my new computer, it was still doing the same problems. Less of them on Overwatch, but still happening somewhat and Skyrim in particular was still just as bad.

So that leads me to believe it might not be the card after all, but I have no idea what it might be. I've updated the BIOS in the motherboard early on because that was the only way I could get my RAM to get to 3200 stable, but it hasn't seemed to create any problems. I've updated my graphics cards drivers 2 or 3 times since I've been up and running and throughout the updates it's performed the same way.

I'm noticing too that my fans (Not sure which one) is making a periodic...coil whine type of sound. It's very low volume, not very noticeable especially with headphones on. But it's doing it regularly, even though no games or anything intense is open. It could just be my AIO working to get back to a lower temperature after just gaming maybe, but it sounds like it winds up for a minute, then goes back down. But maybe that has to do with Ryzen power settings, who knows.

I'm sorry to be so vague, but I'm at a loss here. I'm open to running any tests necessary to figure this out <3 I do still have the RTX 2080 Super, I'll put it back in tomorrow after work, soon to head to bed.

Solution
I did update the BIOS.

As it turns out, the monitor itself is the problem. The artifacting issues happen even on my previous computer when it's hooked up to this new monitor I got, and it never artifacted beforehand. Research says some other folks with my same monitor have issues at higher refresh rates, but not everyone. Debating RMA'ing it but I'm not sure I want to bother yet. We'll see though.

As for loud fans, I got that worked out too. Needed to institute my own fan curves, but they're very quiet now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Did you update the motherboard's drivers too?

Nice setup though... save for the cheap power supply.

Coil whine, as far as I've been able to tell, is caused by 3 things:
-Bad drivers. Try different ones. If this doesn't work, then the whine is definitely hardware related.
-Bad power supplies.
-Weak gpu VRM design. Some models appear to be more prone to it than others, but with all the different hardware combinations out there, it's hard to say.

Zack T

Reputable
May 19, 2017
I did update the BIOS.

As it turns out, the monitor itself is the problem. The artifacting issues happen even on my previous computer when it's hooked up to this new monitor I got, and it never artifacted beforehand. Research says some other folks with my same monitor have issues at higher refresh rates, but not everyone. Debating RMA'ing it but I'm not sure I want to bother yet. We'll see though.

As for loud fans, I got that worked out too. Needed to institute my own fan curves, but they're very quiet now.

Solution