Question Artifact question need advice

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Added a Geforce RTX 2060 Super from bestbuy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...ics-card-black-silver/6361329.p?skuId=6361329
(Based on this pic at Amazon it looks like it's the founders edition though as the link above shows bestbuy's doesn't say that for some reason)
https://www.amazon.com/Nvidia-Gefor...geforce+rtx+2060+super&qid=1595775239&sr=8-11

to my i5-3570K 3.4GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. Noticed occasional handfuls of artifacts while playing Mechwarrior 5 but it's mostly all good and was a vaaaaast improvement over my gtx 660 that lol doesn't even meet the minimum required specs of the game. (though I still was able to play enough to beat the campaign twice with it)
I know I have a serious CPU bottleneck going on now. Can that cause artifacts? Can dust? The GTX 660 was bought way back in 2013 and I didn't clean the pins when installing the 2060. Been running MSI Kombustor artifact scanner for almost an hour now without finding any so far. Temp is running 70-74C which is the same range I was getting from the EVGA Precision X1 software overlay while playing MW5. I read that the best way to test is just by using it in games not with programs like Kombustor but I wanted to see if it could find any. Could I have a defective card or is something else going on here?
I bought it to throw into my new build with a Z490 Taichi whose parts will be finished arriving in the next couple weeks. Unfortunately that will put me over the 15 day return time with Bestbuy so I can't test the 2060 on the Taichi. So what should I do? Return it or could my current MOBO be causing mischief? I'm hoping it's the latter.
Thanks in advance.

Edited for spelling

Lutfij

Titan
Ideally you're supposed to mention the specs to your build when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature.
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

What is the age to the PSU? I'm assuming it's been recycled from the older platform.

If you should test the GPU, take it to a friend's or neighbors house who has a machine with at least 650W of power from a reliably built PSU in the system to test the GPU out, mind you you will need to remove previous GPU's drivers using DDU and reinstall the drivers(before dropping the RTX2060 in).

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Sorry. I'm still a newb here.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Ram: G Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 running at 666.5mhz according to CPU-Z
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
GPU: Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Founders edition (I think)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze

Don't know the age of the PSU. 2013 to today at the very least.
lol Well that's a no go. All my friends have wised up and moved out of California. Those who PC game anyways. This state is expensive as hell to live in.

Last edited:

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
what do the "artifacts" look like exactly? Can you take a screen shot or cell phone picture when it happens?
I can;t seem to reproduce them now. lol The almighty PC gods have healed it?
They looked like, you know how if you move your mouse super fast on a really low hz old school monitor it leaves trails behind? Like that only the texture trails of the artifacts stayed on screen for like a full 5 seconds or so just to be replaced by more. It wouldn't be the whole screen just like a couple to several quarter sized spots to my view which is roughly 3ft away from a 27inch viewable monitor.