Question Artifacts and nvlddmkm errors that disappeared after using DDU ?

Vincent_22

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
Hello i had this system for almost 2 years now tonight when i've opened the system i've noticed low amount of artifacts like white dots near fonts screen going black and coming back a second later and my event viewer filled up with Graphics Exception: ESR 0x405848=0x80000000 and Graphics Exception: Shader Program Header 18, 10, 9, 5, 3, 2, 1. and display event telling me that display driver crashed and restarted but the pc didnt hard freeze.I've downloaded DDU and rebooted in safe mode while the artifacts and driver crashes going on the background.I've used DDU and booted as normal and installed the latest driver and i didn't had any issues since.

So far I've done 2 hours of furmark test
1 hour msi kombustor high vram test to test the vram
15 minutes of occt vram test
Temps are normal and pc is working as it was before

So my question is this ;
Was this a freak accident or should i be worried I've been stress testing the gpu for like 4 hours now and no issues after DDU.

i5 11600kf
2x8 ddr4 ram gskill
MSI z590 torpedo
rtx 3060ti asus dual
coolermaster mwe 80+ bronze v2 750w psu
500gb samsung 970 evo
1tb samsung 970 evo
1tb seagate hdd

Last edited:
Solution
I would put this under "Monitor for Reoccurrence". Artifacts generally mean the VRAM is failing, but its always a good step to DDU/Reinstall the drivers first. If the issue returns, then I'd heavily suspect the GPU (or more rarely a PCI-E slot failure).

It's *possible* a Windows Update caused an issue with your older driver; I've had that happen in the past (I had Steam's overlay break on an older GPU driver after a Windows update once, eating an ungodly amount of CPU time). But again, all you can do is wait and see for now. If the GPU VRAM is failing, it will show itself in short order.

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention your PSU's make and model and it's age(2 years?).

It's possible that the driver was updated along the way and a corruption had occurred. Using DDU helps remove all corrupted drivers and manually reinstalling with the latest driver driver version from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Vincent_22

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
You forgot to mention your PSU's make and model and it's age(2 years?).

It's possible that the driver was updated along the way and a corruption had occurred. Using DDU helps remove all corrupted drivers and manually reinstalling with the latest driver driver version from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Its Cooler Master MWE bronze v2 80+ and yes 2 years old.

I've used DDU on my last driver installation as well. I've also disabled auto updates to gpu drivers thanks to the DDU option.The gpu driver was last updated 4-5 months ago.

I'm stumped I've also gamed like 1.5 hours after stress testing didn't encountered a artifact or driver crash it really seems like a freak accident or something.

Is there a reliable test i can do to make sure my gpus is healthy 100%.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
If running DDU and reinstalling the drivers cleared up the issues you were having, then you must have had an incompatible or broken driver hiding somewhere on your boot drive. The odds are that your graphics card is fine, it was just glitching because of the bad driver. If you don't have GeForce Experience installed, then you should install it. It will tell you when new drivers are available. Nvidia does frequent driver updates, so being 4-5 months behind could possibly lead to performance issues, or some games may not even start if the drivers are too old. Some will display a pop up showing the minimum driver version they need, but not all do, and will leave you scratching your head why the game ran fine yesterday, but refused to run this morning. It's best to keep up with the latest drivers.

Vincent_22

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
If running DDU and reinstalling the drivers cleared up the issues you were having, then you must have had an incompatible or broken driver hiding somewhere on your boot drive. The odds are that your graphics card is fine, it was just glitching because of the bad driver. If you don't have GeForce Experience installed, then you should install it. It will tell you when new drivers are available. Nvidia does frequent driver updates, so being 4-5 months behind could possibly lead to performance issues, or some games may not even start if the drivers are too old. Some will display a pop up showing the minimum driver version they need, but not all do, and will leave you scratching your head why the game ran fine yesterday, but refused to run this morning. It's best to keep up with the latest drivers.
Yeap running DDU fixed my issues but why would a working driver for the last 4 months just get randomly corrupted.Mind boggling.

I would put this under "Monitor for Reoccurrence". Artifacts generally mean the VRAM is failing, but its always a good step to DDU/Reinstall the drivers first. If the issue returns, then I'd heavily suspect the GPU (or more rarely a PCI-E slot failure).

It's *possible* a Windows Update caused an issue with your older driver; I've had that happen in the past (I had Steam's overlay break on an older GPU driver after a Windows update once, eating an ungodly amount of CPU time). But again, all you can do is wait and see for now. If the GPU VRAM is failing, it will show itself in short order.

Solution