Artifacts and system failure with Gigabyte Radeon R9 290

Fri3dChick3n

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Hi, I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks now, my system is however close to a year old.
I am new, but I will try to be as thorough as possible.

Here are my system specs:
Asus z97-a motherboard
intel Core i5-4690K @3.50
Dual Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 (Crossfire)
4x4Gb G.Skill sniper 1866GHz
XFX PRO850W psu
Windows 10 pro
dual HDDs on RAID0 mode

I never overclocked my cards (running on default values) and I am very certain that they never got too hot.

The problem started when I began playing TomClancy's The division, not right away but after a few days. So my game crashed and when I rebooted my computer I got enormous video artifacts (horizontal lines, displaced screen sections, unreadable text) as soon as the windows loading screen. I tried a few things to fix my problem (which I'll describe later), but the artifacts always came back. Sometimes windows doesn't even boot (i get the artifacts than my screen turns to black and my monitor says no signal detected), other times I got the message AMD display driver stopped working but recovered, but the artifacts were still present and my desktop was unresponsive. I dont know how to reproduce my problem because it can happen after a game crash or when closing the game or on startup after a normal shutdown. Whenever the artifacts came, the only sure way to access the desktop is to remove both video cards. However, sometimes after a few restarts, or if I wait a long time, I can start my computer artifact/glitch free, but if I decide to play, it comes back.

Here are a few things I tried:

-Using only one card (tried both)
-Doing a clean driver install (using AMD cleanup utility or Guru3D)
-Installing the latest drivers or installing a version before the crimson upgrade
-Flashed my BIOS to the latest version (they were already the latest)
-Clean installation of Windows 10 (on RAID0 and separately on both HDDs)
-Installing windows 7 (came back to 10)
-Combinations of clean install, card swapping and drivers versions
-Setting the PCIe speed to Gen2
-Setting the BIOS profile to XMP
-CHKDSK/f and sfc/scannow (problems were sometimes detected and sometimes solved...)

After every attempt, my system seemed cured, then I installed the Division, played and the artifact came back. Depending on the configuration however I got more BSOD errors of different type. I am sorry for not remembering the exact configuration for every error, but I got MEMORY_MANAGEMENT very often and with an other configuration of drivers it was systematically THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. I haven't had any BSOD lately with the latest crimson drivers (16.3.2), but the artifact came back. When multiple restarts or waiting doesn't work (can't access desktop or desktop is unresponsive): booting with no card, shutting down, then booting with a video card allows me to access desktop.

I hope I described everything as clearly as I could. I am at a point where I think my problem comes from a voltage/vmemory clock aspect (because of other thread I read), but as I was strongly advised to post, here I am.

Thank you very much.

Fri3dChick3n

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
I saw that AMD released 16.4.1 hotfix I tried once again a clean installation of the drivers. However, my issue is still present and I think the source of my problem is a system instability as my computer now takes more time booting up and sometimes shuts down and restart on its own before getting to desktop. I also got a BSOB with THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER while writing this post a few minutes ago (I started Division on the background to put a little load on my card).