Question As rock 970m pro3 ssd—-> m.2 adapter questions

Jul 31, 2019
Okay so I am completely new to this forum and building computers. As the title states I have an AMD 970m pro 3 microatx mother board. I have installed an nvme m.2 expansion card into the PCIe slot. Of course I have the actual m.2 card in that adapter piece which is a 970 evo plus v-nand ssd card. My question is will this m.2 card support Wi-Fi? My OS is windows which I will have to hook up an external optical drive in order to boot to the software however I am confused once it’s been booted how will I be able to access the Wi-Fi to register the product key? Will this m.2 card support those Wi-Fi functions? If not I’m a little unsure how I enable the WiFi will it be through a WLAN card or what’s going on lol. I’m really lost on this so don’t judge me it’s my first build.

Jul 31, 2019
For wifi you would need to have a PCIE or USB wifi adapter (nothing to do with the M.2 SSD/adapter).
Okay cool thank you. I wasn’t sure because I have read that some laptops will use m.2 to support Wi-Fi functions so maybe I’ve miss understood that information. But thank you for your help I appreciate it.

Jul 31, 2019
The M.2 port can be used for multiple things, depending on the motherboard.
WiFi, a drive, etc..

The 970 EVO is a drive that can go into an M.2 port.
Okay for sures. I don’t have an m.2 slot on my motherboard, I had to have a PCIe adapter for it. My build is pretty basic since it is my first one. My specs look like such... mother board is amd 970pro with a 4 core amd 2.8 ghz phenom ll processor. I have an after market cooling unit with 2 8g corsfire ram and a 250g ssd card with an amd Radeon 512 mb graphics card. Essentially I really am not sure how good of a unit I’ve built and how much it will be capable of doing but I am mainly building for personal use such as browsing and writing documents. Anyone have any thoughts on my first build?

USAFRet

Titan
For that, the 970 EVO is sort of a waste of money.
Your board lacking a native M.2 port, you almost certainly can't use that as the OS drive.
And as a secondary drive, it will be little faster than a regular SATA III SSD. Samsung 860 EVO, for instance.

Jul 31, 2019
D
For that, the 970 EVO is sort of a waste of money.
Your board lacking a native M.2 port, you almost certainly can't use that as the OS drive.
And as a secondary drive, it will be little faster than a regular SATA III SSD. Samsung 860 EVO, for instance.
Oh no this was actually my fear. I incompetently assumed it would work because of the adapter. Do you have any suggestions what I should do for the hard drive then?

Jul 31, 2019
If at all possible, send it back and get a refund.

Get a SATA III SSD, such as Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500.
In that system, and that use...you'll not notice any difference.
Okay cool thanks! Now I have to ask is my board to old to support this m.2 or is it simply because as you said it does not contain a native port for it? Just trying to understand why it won’t work.

Jul 31, 2019
Both.
No M.2 port, boards of that vintage generally cannot boot from a drive in an adapter like that.
And, even the ones that do, the speed of that 970 EVO is cut about in half.

You're putting racing tires on an old Honda Civic.
Lol! Damn that’s sad my poor unit. I chose the m.2 because I have researched that they are faster than the SATA ssd but I actually was not sure how to verify if it would indeed work on my unit. As I said I assumed because of the adapter everything should be cool. Oh well live and learn thank you so much for you help, I greatly appreciate the advice.

USAFRet

Titan
It is "faster", if your other parts can natively support it (yours can't), and if your use case can benefit from it( yours doesn't).

I have an older Z97 w/ i7-4790k (intel) board, and a selection of SATA III SSD's (parts list below)
Recently, I got an Intel 660p NVMe drive.
A secondary drive, in a PCIe adapter in a PCIe slot.

My primary use is photo editing.

Editing images and writing out to that drive is no faster than writing out to any of the other SATA III SSD's.
Even though the 'benchmarks' for this 660p are 3-4x faster than the SATA SSD's.
Performing the exact same function takes almost exactly the same time.