[SOLVED] As someone that has a high-end gaming PC and wants to get into VR what would you recommend?

samtheman17

Prominent
May 13, 2019
I'm looking to spend under $600 on a VR headset and want something good for PC. I know the rift S and Vive are both options, but I've heard a lot of people liking both of them. Which should I go with?

Solution
One of the biggest complaints we've seen stemming from new Rift S users is the lack of manually adjustable interpupillary distance (IPD). IPD is handled by software on the Rift S, and if your eyes don't fall in a common spacing distance, you will have a tougher time finding a perfect view. The Vive, on the other hand, has a physical IPD knob on the side that offers more control, allowing for a better chance of achieving a perfect view even if your eyes have uncommon spacing.

Vive also has a better display, and it's tracking is flawless. Rift's lower price is absolutely justified - it's a second option.
One of the biggest complaints we've seen stemming from new Rift S users is the lack of manually adjustable interpupillary distance (IPD). IPD is handled by software on the Rift S, and if your eyes don't fall in a common spacing distance, you will have a tougher time finding a perfect view. The Vive, on the other hand, has a physical IPD knob on the side that offers more control, allowing for a better chance of achieving a perfect view even if your eyes have uncommon spacing.

Vive also has a better display, and it's tracking is flawless. Rift's lower price is absolutely justified - it's a second option.

Solution
Sep 6, 2019
I'm looking to spend under $600 on a VR headset and want something good for PC. I know the rift S and Vive are both options, but I've heard a lot of people liking both of them. Which should I go with?

The Samsung Odyssey Plus is at $250 (student) and $300 (standard) right now. It has better quality lens and higher resolution than both the Vive and Rift S. It's considered a WMD device with Windows.

mattc1983

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
I got the S from the CV1, returned it. Sound is woeful, although updates apparently were to making it better, still limited by the hardwear. Didn't like the fact you can hear everything going on around you too.

Biggest issue for me, I liked playing FPS games and thrill of the fight. The inside tracking worked fine until you had your hands up to your face, like you would aiming down a gun or blocking in boxing. It would lose tracking at close range, making it basically useless for me.

Want my CV1 back! but sweated it to death

Shame as really liked the CV1, the software behind it is Superior IMO. Always flawless and smooth playing through Oculus rather than steam

TRENDING THREADS