Ashes of the Singularity May Have Leaked Benchmarks for Nvidia's Next GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It managed to squeeze out 75.1, 60.6 and 57.4 frames per second in the game's normal, medium and heavy batch tests, respectively.[snip] For reference, we've gotten between 40 and 59.5 frames per second out of the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB with Crazy settings at a 3,840 x 2,160 resolution.

If we are talking about the 2080, that would not be out of alignment with previous generation Nvidia top end GPUs when it comes to the next generation releases of high end non-Ti cards. For example, the GTX 980 blew the 780 Ti away, and the GTX 1080 blew the 980 Ti away. We're talking about a 25-30% performance boost here historically with each new generation GPU which, if these numbers are true, are right in alignment with that. Same with their lower tier products. I would expect nothing less in the new 2xxx generation of GPUs.

With that said, I'm still scratching my head why Nvidia is leaving the GTX reference behind that they've long held in their GPU product lines. To remind everyone, their first GTX based video card series was the 7th generation 7800 GTX dating from 2005. So this is a long lineage of product nomenclature that Nvidia is leaving behind. I'm not liking it, but if their release prices aren't out of control and the performance of the new series is a leap forward like we've seen in past new generations of GPUs, then I don't really care. The games sure won't.

He was being sarcastic at how slow AMD has been in GPU development lately. But I can't blame them as they shifted focus towards the CPU sector with Ryzen as well as APU development for the Xbox and PlayStation. Nvidia has the R&D financial luxury of primarily being focused on GPU architecture.

Well GTX was originally "trim". I would be more concerned if they dropped GeForce and instead called it say RayForce. The 7800 had a couple trims as they used to do in the older days (GS, GT, GTX, GTX 512)

GTX became a primary identifier for the GPUs after GeForce in the 200 series. However Ti, for example, is older than GTX yet was dropped after the 4000 series and not brought back until the 500 series. It was similar though. In the 4000 series it was a first step identifier after GeForce but in the 500 series and on its a "trim" level.

As for AMD, I thought they separated CPU and GPU branches to allow the GPU branch to better develop on its own? Not sure there is an advantage to letting one side drown while the other does well. Interestingly enough when their CPUs were doing poorly their GPUs were more competitive IMO.

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Looks to be exciting times for the GTX 2xxx lineup, like previous gens, am looking forward to (minimum) 35% increase. Could be more, because we're no longer talking GDDR5(X), rather net gen memory. Which will most certainly play a factor.

One thing on our side, the mining crase has peaked, so should have minimum impact on the GTX 2xxx series. Many of the 'leftover' GTX 1080/1070 including Ti, as well as 1060 are selling at or below initial release on Newegg & other retailers. Not a good time to buy these anymore, if building a PC, use whatever GPU on hand & wait for the GTX 2xxx lineup to settle in price, then pull the trigger on a promo.

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.