Question ASIO4ALL support on audio interface with native drivers

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Hi,
Some audio interfaces that connect to USB port on PC or laptop come with native drivers provided by the manufacturer for Windows OS.
e.g. M-Audio or Mackie audio interfaces.

Mac is a different story as Core-audio makes it class-compliant.

However despite of those drivers provided by manufacturer for Windows, is there a possibility of using other ASIO drivers like ASIO4ALL to configure the audio interface in DAW software?
Generally would that work? I will be buying one such audio interface soon and do not want to get stuck with only the driver provided by the manufacturer. So the question.
Thanks.

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Thanks @Corwin65
Well I might narrow it down to M-track solo or Mackie Onyx artist. Both come with their own driver apps for Windows.

While it is imperative that I will use their own driver, there might be instances where I may wish to use other ASIO drivers or even try those projects like FlexASIO which are ASIO wrapped in Wasapi for shared mode.
Hence the question. Will it work in principle?

I have some apps that slow down mp3 play & also loop certain section so that I get a chance to hear the notes clearly and play along. This is where shared drivers like FlexASIO work. I can run 2 apps simultaneously . Here I would not be concerned much about latency.

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Multiple apps taking control of the same sound card at the same time? If so it needs to be supported by the ASIO driver. In your case the native ASIO must be supporting it. Alternatively you might be using FL Studio with its own ASIO. Even that supports multi apps.

Maudio and Mackie do not support multi client modes. So this is where I may need to resort to FlexASIO which is not tied to the HW.

Last edited: