Ask Me Anything - Official AMD Radeon Representative

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thracks

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

I think this answer from our official FAQ addresses this: http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/225 :)

Thank you for the answer. Since FreeSync is completely compatible with all sorts of displays, can we be expecting TV's to get this technology? (I personally have been dying for a television with this since i'm so tired of the lag that low fps movies bring with them.)

Ogrodnik

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

I'm pretty sure that True Audio will work on Radeon 7790 after flash to 260x

thanks for the straight forward answer. really appreciate it. so why 5k and 6k excluded from getting DX12 support? is it lacking in hardware requirement or simply AMD want to focus more on GCN architecture in general? and probably my last question since its getting late here. Your recent Omega drivers mention support for OpenGL ES 3.0. what about OpenGL 4.5?

Carlrg

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
will there be 120 HZ 144HZ free sync monitors and how do you feel about the next gen AMD GPU's ,just a feeling :)

2ed time

x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .

in your drivers foot/release notes this is stated

''◾Windows Driver Model (WDM) drivers are no longer bundled in the AMD Catalyst software suite. The WDM drivers install bundle can be downloaded independently through the AMD website.''

lots of folks have asked about this but cant seem to find them so how about a link to it ???

#2 --- what the deal with you drivers and this new windows update blocking the driver from loading ?? [ windows update - KB3004394 ]

Jtaylor1986

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Are we in a new era where we realistically are going to see update cycles continue to lengthen going forward due to manufacturing technology stagation? Or has this just been a bump in the road due to issues at TSMC?

gogo8092201

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

ooooooooooooooooooooh! Perfect. That is exactly the kind of breakthroughs I would expect. Leverage the concurrency advantage to the utmost! I work in multiple threads often, so I see the power, but also the scheduling nightmare this brings. Civ:BE is a VERY cpu intensive game, I would love to see this Split Frame Rendering solution expand to a FPS or RPG. DA:I January update?? lol (I wish). This does seem the perfect solution to "why bother getting a super expensive dual R9 295x2 machine".

Incremental updates are painful from a consumer's perspective, but understandable from a developers. I hope we see a new era in computer gaming with Mantle. I am sick of poor console ports that barely need my R9 270x to run.

Question 1:
Is AMD still working shoulder to shoulder with developers helping them implement mantle into their games like with Battlefield 4, or has that time passed?

Question 2:
Would AMD hurry up and just buy a Game Studio so they can have a game made with Mantle "they way it needs to be made" in order to fully flaunt its power? <- I think I am joking here, but.....sigh. Guess I just need to be patient.

gogo8092201

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

I have this same issue. It isn't AMD's fault though. I just found the solution today, I'll give it a whirl when I get home. I totally blamed the omega driver update though lol. Just back out that KB install and you will be fine. That is what everyone is doing right now according to this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-kb3004394-issues/ace25277-7f65-4486-bc44-c1b106907a18

sea monkey

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Indeed, many of the firmware vendors are telling us that they’ve only needed to design and validate new firmware for many of their scalers to outfit them with the Adaptive-Sync support. Three companies basically own the scaler market: Realtek, MStar and Novatek. All three of them have committed to supporting Adaptive-Sync, with some combination of existing scalers upgraded to new firmware, and new-generation scalers built from the ground up with Adaptive-Sync in mind.

Does this mean that current monitors could support Adaptive-Sync with a simple firmware update?

gogo8092201

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

Then why the hell are you asking an AMD rep about an issue that is caused by MS and affects all driver updates and many other things??? I don't understand.

Thracks

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

A TV manufacturer would need to adopt an LCD scaler that supported DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync. I don't know of any plans to this effect, but it is technologically possible for such a TV to be connected to a PC and gain smoother video playback with FreeSync.

Thracks

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Because the VLIW4 and VLIW5 architectures of the HD 5000 and HD 6000 are a poor, if not incompatible, fit for low-overhead APIs. They are not programmable enough, and certainly not to the extent that GCN is.

I don't know the status on OGL4.5 and will have to check.

gogo8092201

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

I am therefore getting the sense that FreeSync is something that would be enabled in CCC rather than in-game like I was originally assuming. Therefore it is an "always on" feature....right? Are there any instances you can think of off hand where this wouldn't be desirable?

Thracks

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
in your drivers foot/release notes this is stated

''◾Windows Driver Model (WDM) drivers are no longer bundled in the AMD Catalyst software suite. The WDM drivers install bundle can be downloaded independently through the AMD website.''

lots of folks have asked about this but cant seem to find them so how about a link to it ???

This is an incorrect entry in the release notes and is being removed.

what the deal with you drivers and this new windows update blocking the driver from loading ?? (windows update - KB3004394)

KB3004394 unfortunately prevents the installation of graphics drivers on certain system configurations. Microsoft is aware this is a critical issue and is working to resolve. For now, it is recommended that users remove this hotfix.

Nvidia have a unified driver meaning one size fits all, there are no "individual" drivers.

Thracks

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Samsung's decision. I cannot speak on their behalf.

Thracks

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

AMD and NVIDIA both have a unified driver, which means one driver package supports all compatible hardware. The act of selecting a specific GPU doesn't give you a special driver, but users seem to prefer this type of user interface because it offers the comfort of ensuring that the driver you're downloading does go with the GPU you picked.

They still do but unless your card is no longer supported that feature will always suggest the latest driver on offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.