Ask Me Anything - Official CaseLabs Representatives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealJomon

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

Crap. Just ordered a magnum m8 and now I'm hearing about a new magnum line? Is it too late to cancel my order? It still says "awaiting fulfillment" Lol.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Welcome!

Just a few questions that I'd thought I'd offer up.

Do you guys ever see entry into the space occupied by Raspberry Pi and others to offer handsome cases to appeal to a bit more 'contemporary' tastes?

Understandably, offering premium cases in the markets you do, is there difficulty trying to reach and advertise to the overall masses? Craftsmanship and quality do increase cost, but do you have plans to become more competitive and advertising to those who are looking for high-quality, well-crafted enclosures that might be lost to lesser-quality, cheaper alternatives? i.e: Joe Consumer is looking for a great, well designed case and is willing to pay a bit more to get more, but resorts to a cheaper alternative with lesser build quality and features simply because he didn't know where to find your products.

Do you have plans to contribute and promote your products in enthusiast forums with build reviews, new designs and Q/A from end-users?

Lutfij

Titan
Its known to many and all that you guys prefer aluminium as the material of choice as it is very easy to work with at the manufacturing end and for the modders as well as being durable yet light enough to transport.

Have you thought about exploring other materials?
With that respect do you see Caselabs, somewhere down the road, having a service branch off from Caselabs (or within the company) catering to modding alone e.g: sleeved cables, custom panel and metal(or aluminium) work, anodizing(if you're sticking to aluminium) until the end of time :) ?

Kevin_CL

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Thanks!

I don't see us entering the SFF (Small Form Factor - sub 22 liters) market anytime soon if ever.

Basic water cooling is really not that complicated, but what makes it confusing is all the options. If you start with a single 240 rad (or similar), pump/res combo and some soft tubing you may find is pretty straight forward. Companies even make complete kits so you know everything will work together. The only thing to be aware of is making sure your case can fit the rad. You know our cases will :D For a basic single GPU system you really can't beat mITX. It has come a long way over the years. Currently the Mercury S3 is our only mITX case, but the X2 (which may be better for you) should be released in the next couple of months.

Kevin_CL

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Well if you are willing to wait a year (possibly longer) then yes you can cancel if you like. You can also expect a slightly higher price tag with the Gemini line.

CaseLabs

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
At this time, a final decision hasn't been made as to whether Gemini will augment or replace Magnum. Gemini will be positioned above the Magnum series. It's been in gestation a long time now (over two years) and has undergone several "updates" in priorities. It's still about a year away from being released, but will be a priority once the X2 is launched.

TheRealJomon

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

Thanks Kevin. I am not going to cancel my order since the M8 is perfect for what I need. My only concern would be replacement parts for it. Would CL continue to have replacement parts for the M8?

CaseLabs

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Replacement parts will be available for a considerable length of time, even if a case goes out of production. We realize that they are an investment, so we'll do our best to protect that ;)

Kevin_CL

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Thanks, glad to be here.

- Do you guys ever see entry into the space occupied by Raspberry Pi and others to offer handsome cases to appeal to a bit more 'contemporary' tastes?

The raspberry pi cases really are not our area of focus. We would also probably need to outsource the manufacturing just to be competitive. So I would have to say no on that one.

Understandably, offering premium cases in the markets you do, is there difficulty trying to reach and advertise to the overall masses? Craftsmanship and quality do increase cost, but do you have plans to become more competitive and advertising to those who are looking for high-quality, well-crafted enclosures that might be lost to lesser-quality, cheaper alternatives? i.e: Joe Consumer is looking for a great, well designed case and is willing to pay a bit more to get more, but resorts to a cheaper alternative with lesser build quality and features simply because he didn't know where to find your products.

It's more expensive than it is difficult. Fortunately we have AMAZING support from our customers and fans which help to spread the word. Also as mentioned earlier, forums and Facebook have helped immensely. More recently we have been experimenting with paid search and retargeting ads. Our store site has been active for just over 3 years and we are very happy with the progress we have made since then. Let the snowball effect continue!

CaseLabs

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

We'll likely stick with cases for the foreseeable future although we could enter into strategic partnerships to distribute compatible products. We'll continue to focus on the high-end enthusiast market as well as government/military and industrial applications as well as OEM accounts. I don't see us ever getting into the mass production market - competition in that sector is going to get very bloody over the next 5 years as the overall desktop PC market shrinks.I'd rather see us provide even more customization options (at lower cost) and get our "concept to ship" time down to 8-12 weeks to take advantage of emerging trends. Our strategy will be to implement ever-higher levels of automation (possibly with distributed manufacturing facilities in Europe and Asia) to reduce shipping times, improve quality, lower cost and provide more options.

CaseLabs

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

That's a little like asking which child you love the most - lol! :D

We have a lot of really fantastic builds that our customers have done. Many of them are featured in the customer gallery on our website. For me, two that stand out are M8 mods by pOPe and Richard Keirsgieter, mostly because they were among the first and pretty extreme. Since then however, we've seen a number of incredible showcase builds :love: (including two cover shots on CPU magazine - See this month's issue for Strens "Thief" build). I can honestly say that I love them all! :D

Kevin_CL

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Absolutely!

There are a number of them, but one of my favorites was this build by pOPe

project-n.v-1.jpg

That block design was so original and we are proud that is was made for a CL case. Since then it seems bitspower has mimicked the design with their new mobo blocks.

Amencerment

Reputable
May 22, 2014
You guys make the best cases I have come across to this day. With the build quality and functionality that is matched by none.

I will be building a newer system soon using the MAGNUM STH10 for the bones of the system and my questions are this...

1st. Being that I live in the same area as your buildings, can I just pick up my order? I ask because I will be ordering many parts as the build goes and just thought it would be much easier then having each piece ship when they are needed... This also goes for the systems I build for clients, for possible pick up, as I live in Tarzana... Would make it sooo easy. :-D

2nd. On the back of the MOBo tray area there is room for what feels like 3SSD's and 2HD's is there a way to fit say 2-3SSD units in that area with out breaking out a drill and Dremel to get the stuff to mount?

Peace and keep crafting the great products...

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014
Hi everyone!

Great questions so far!

We're going to let our guests from CaseLabs take a break. We'll let them finish their workday, have dinner, sleep, all that good stuff.

Keep sending in your questions, and they'll be back tomorrow morning to answer them! The AMA goes until 12 p.m. EST tomorrow.

Thanks all!

Kevin_CL

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Thank you!

1. Sure, we have a local pick-up option and we can even assemble the case if you want! The only stipulation is there won't be a box for it. It will however be wrapped in thick plastic for protection.

2. You will need a drill to mount the SSDs there, otherwise I have seen people use velcro, but I can't say I would recommend it.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I just came in to say hi. I really admire Caselabs for the quality work they(you) do on cases. I can't say I have any questions as I actually read through most of the posts and the one question I DID have was already answered. Anyway, it is definitely an honor and it is nice to see a Manufacturer actually interact with the community. Not that others don't, but I don't google "(Insert Manufacturer's name here) Ask Me anything". As much as I aspire to build a build in your cases, currently I have no money for anything. But count on me being a customer if I do get the money!

spoidz

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Hello, I have admired your cases but have just never gone to a full water-cooled solution that your cases are so perfectly designed for.

When I finally make that investment I would most likely be interested in your custom design services.

Are your custom design services limited to modifications to your existing designs and templates?

Or are your custom services able to produce an entirely new chassis within the limits of the materials and your machinery?

Entirely new for me would possibly involve re-locating both component locations and attachments as well as custom locations for input and output access. As well the idea of a custom scaled exterior that might serve as a "shell" for some of your current standard component layouts/templates.

Thank You

Carlrg

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
have you ever had a case made with Nixie tubes?
PS: having Nixie tubes that shows the variation of voltage for overclocking options would look really cool.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
CaseLabs, you make the best cases but willfully ignore the best layouts.

Why CaseLabs, do you not offer a proper full-ATX pizza box case? One that is very short in height and essentially a tower on its side? This would be ideal as a base for monitors, raising height of the monitor, reducing desk space and greatly decreasing the wear of PCIe slots and heavy dual-slot graphics cards.

The same question above but for 90degree rotated motherboard towers. Why don't you offer logical mounting solutions with the IO panel at the top allowing the graphics card to rest on the PCIe hook as it was originally designed, taking deadly stress off the PCIe slot and reducing PCB warp on the GPU. In this configuration the GPU would sit vertical, exhaust heat up and be the most logical design choice for performance and low-stress outside of the traditional pizzabox.

Thanks,
Zepid

P.S. There is a huge market for the later of the two cases provided it is done right, with an optional cable shroud/channeling at the top. I would love to buy one of each provided they support ATX.

KingJames1118

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Have you thought of doing a desk/case? There are really only 2 options to buy with Red Harbinger and Lian Li. I think that you guys over at Case Labs would do an awesome job with it.

Thanks for doing this AMA. You guys are awesome!

Kevin_CL

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Hello! Thank you for your comments!

CaseLabs

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

I wouldn't say that we "willfully" ignore any design. That would be foolish for any manufacturer to do ;) We go where the market is. Horizontal ATX cases pretty much died out in the 80's and with the exception of the HTPC market, still hasn't staged a solid comeback. As you say, there are benefits to the design, but we haven't experienced any demand for it to date.

The 90 degree MB is another issue. Until recently, Silverstone held a functional use patent on that which is why no case manufacturer offered it. Once again, there hasn't been a lot of pressure to move in that direction, but it's something we can consider with new designs.

Thank you! :)

Kevin_CL

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Haha actually it's funny you mention that, I understand the CIA has some of those tape libraries.

Status
Not open for further replies.