Ask Me Anything - Official Gigabyte Representatives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

We have separate GIGABYTE business units that sell other PC components including servers, power supplies, chassis, notebooks and even mobile phones. Of course different regions sell the products they feel best fit their own region.

lunaticwoda

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
So two questions. First with vDroop I have experienced nothing but issues with the vDroop settings in the UD7 series of mobos. My quesiton being why did gigabyte choose to go with a scale of 0-10 for vdroop instead of a simpler solution such as provided by Asus? (Note I should'nt skyrocket from 1.41vcore at 5ghz and shoot to 1.54vcore

Second question. For a long time I have been wanting to see a awesome gaming/enthusiate class board with dual socket with dual QPI links. Is there any plans for anything like that? Think EVGA's SR-2 or the skulltrail boards but you know better :)

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

DPC latency issues can be caused by any number of things. We did notice that our EasyTune Windows-based overclocking does affect DPC due to the hardware polling for the system information. Often closing this application will fix the DPC issues. Our software team is looking into possible solutions.

We are always adding new and unique features to our motherboards. Currently our G1.Killer gaming motherboards for the 8 series have introduced the first OP-AMP socket on-board which allows users to customize their audio experience. I think in the future you will see some more unique things on the audio side. We've also launched a bunch of new features on our overclocking motherboards and of course you will always see us developing new technologies for the power delivery of our motherboards, ie. our Ultra Durable Technologies.

funguseater

Distinguished
Hi gigabyte

I really like the quality of your boards, been using them for years and they get better every year but I wonder if its possible to sell the different models VRM heatsinks as aftermarket parts, most models have the same/similar layout for cooling and spacing for the heatsink. Honestly I don't recommend the killer series to clients because of the noxious Green (unless they are 15, adults tend to look at me funny), I end up buying ud4's and not being completely happy with the builds. I've been asking for this for years and I hope other people will see the good in the idea and press for it. Thank you

Fungi

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

We do offer some micro-ATX boards that have different feature sets, including a Z77 board that has Thunderbolt on-board. But I don't think the US currently carries this motherboard. I will feedback to our US team that there is more demand for a mid-range micro-ATX boards. Hopefully in the future we can provide.

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

I think there was some confusion earlier in the year about this. Intel is still committed to socketed CPUs and we will continue to focus on socketed motherboards for the retail channel.

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

This would be a question for our VGA team. We have notebook solutions that use an external graphics dock but I don't believe we currently have a solution on our VGA side. I'll pass along your suggestion though, as I agree, it would make a pretty cool way to boost your graphics performance.

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

We just launched our FM2 mini-ITX motherboard, and we are investigating the possibility of doing more small form fact motherboards for different AMD platforms.

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Color scheme is such a personal preference :). The reason we did green is all of our competitors seemed to do red for that segment, and we wanted to differentiate ourselves. I think this 8 series launch, we have a wide variety of colors that hopefully will appeal to as many different tastes as possible. We have some green/black, orange/black, red/black, gold/black, blue/black. We are always open to hear suggestions.

Colin-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Sorry guys. Got to get to bed now but thanks for all of the great questions. Henry and I will be back later this evening to answer more of your questions.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Would like to see Gigabyte make a DDR3 ramdisk around pci-e w/ like a port or ports for storage backups be it SD, USB, SATA, or all of the above.

subtec

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
The Mini-DTX motherboard form-factor is compatible with many mini-ITX chassis on the market, while potentially enabling the use of a sound card and GPU, or even SLI/Crossfire via its second PCIe slot. Does Gigabyte see a future in this "mini-ITX plus" form-factor, and do you have any plans to produce boards based on Mini-DTX?

Thanks.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Thanks guys for the answer! I strongly encourage questions to continue in the interim. :)

To JPNpower, on behalf of "Tom's" Hardware, I can say it's not always important that the name be up to date or reflect current situations. American Telephone and Telegraph, Radio Shack, and Kentucky Fried Chicken might agree there. :p

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I noticed that aside the sniper line that uses a creative soundcore 3D chip, all other z87 boards use the Realtek ALC898 codec while competitors are using the newer ALC 1150 codec. Will we see some new Gigabyte motherboards with the new codec or do you feel that the sound upgrade over ALC 898 is not substantial enough to warrant its inclusion?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I actually have one of the few AM3+ mATX boards:

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3817#ov

I was wondering if Gigabyte plans to support Steamroller on the AM3+ 880G platform.

Henry-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Generally speaking, Ramdisks were popular at a time when mechanical hard drives were a serious bottleneck for extreme systems. But in the age of SSDs we see very little demand for Ramdisks. This especially true now that we've seen SSDs become cheaper and more accessible in the last year or so.

bim27142

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hello Team Gigabyte!

This is the same question (or probably suggestion) that I sent to you Sales team a few weeks back... this is just basically an inquiry if you are planning to release a Mini ITX version of Sniper 5 soon?

As you may have known, Asus already has a ROG Mini ITX motherboard and you know very well that these days, Mini ITX and SFF are selling like hot cakes. Better yet since Sniper 5 is your enthusiast/gaming oriented model, you should extend the Mini ITX design down to Ivy Bridge platform as most enthusiasts are really not keen on jumping to Haswell for apparent reasons.

I think Asus is really on the right track on providing discrete class quality audio on ITX boards as this is the only thing holding most people back from Mini ITX due to the absence of discrete quality on-board sound solutions which, ROG Mini ITX solved this by providing a daughter board for a discrete-quality sound solutions.

If there is one motherboard company that can go head to head with Asus, that is ONLY Gigabyte and I MEAN it with all my heart! You will have an edge if you do this since you guys are using a REAL Creative chip with replaceable OP AMPS while Asus only uses Realtek with emulated X-Fi functionality.

So I hope you will take this with serious considerations. This will surely propel you to the next level.

Thanks and more power Gigabyte!

Henry-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

It's interesting to hear someone talk about D-ITX again. I think the DIY PC market today , broadly speaking, is largely maintaining three form factor eco-systems; ATX, Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX. This means that chassis vendors in particular are developing products for these three form factors.

Mini-DTX sits in a very niche position, between Mini and Micro and thus never really achieved a stable eco-system. I can see the benefits as you explained, but for a form factor to really survive, it needs the support of the broader PC component industry.

Henry-GIGABYTE

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Thanks for your question and obvious enthusiasm for gigabyte bim.

We recently moved our G1.Killer brand to Micro-ATX with last year's G1. Sniper M3. This was hugely popular. This year we've launched the G1. Sniper M5 which again is proving to be a big hit.

The idea that a real PC gaming board needs to be full size ATX, is now clearly gone and I think, as a company we've now come to appreciate and understand that.

A G1.Killer Mini-ITX board would of course seem the next logical step, and without saying too much, I can tell you that it is something being discussed internally.

subtec

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the response Henry. I would just reiterate that chassis compatibility for Mini-DTX is essentially a non-issue, since a large number of mini-ITX chassis already support mini-DTX simply by virtue of having two expansion slots. Mini-ITX cases that don't support dual expansion slots are limited to lower-power systems, so it stands to reason that Mini-DTX boards would be a better fit in the enthusiast/power user space.

Otherwise, PC components are largely the same between ATX/mATX/mITX. At the very least, anything that will fit mini-ITX will also fit M-DTX.

Thanks again.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I'm a great fan of Gigabyte for a very long time and wonder if they plan to move into processors and software.. as in licensing ARM/Android to make PC motherboards with an integrated OS.

Context: way back in the dark days of BIOS, Ribbon cables, dead ram modules etc, it sucked to not have GUI access to FAT or NTFS drivers, or network. I wondered why gigabyte never put an OS into the motherboard to make troubleshooting easier. If I could I'd somehow connect my phone directly to my mobo or whatever computer I'm troubleshooting for quick direct access to everything especially for diagnostics, i.e. a mobo should have wifi built-in and be able to report to a phone. Such access is less relevant now that systems are so much more stable it is not an issue. Still IF I opted for another Gigabyte motherboard, I'd also want a Gigabyte android phone to go with it. Chances are I'd never need to connect that phone to the motherboard for configuration or troubleshooting, it would be lovely to have that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.