News Asrock A520 Motherboards Show Why A520 May Be a Better Option Than B550

Dropping PCIe Gen4 will do that. I don't see this mentioned anywhere in your article.

No OC support either? Don't know if this table is accurate:
AMD-A520-Chipset-Specifications.jpg

I get the COVID supply stuff in the short term. But, in general, mobos are wayyyyy to expensive these days.

tlmiller76

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
So, given the B450 now will have support for 4000 series CPU's, if the A520 doesn't support PCIe 4.0, what exactly is the point of considering it over B450? The whole point of 500 series mobo's is PCIe 4.0 support, without that, I don't see a reason to consider this over a B450 board.

InvalidError

Titan
The whole point of 500 series mobo's is PCIe 4.0 support, without that, I don't see a reason to consider this over a B450 board.
The whole point of the 550/520 is guaranteed out-of-the-box support for 4000-series CPUs. With B450, you are limited to boards that explicitly state out-of-the-box support on the box or have BIOS flashback function for CPU-less BIOS update.

Also, at least as far as B550 boards are concerned, the VRMs are WAY better on average: whereas B450 VRMs top out at four fat (double-FETs) Vcore phases, most B550 are kind of overkill for normal use at 8+ phases.

logainofhades

Titan
So, given the B450 now will have support for 4000 series CPU's, if the A520 doesn't support PCIe 4.0, what exactly is the point of considering it over B450? The whole point of 500 series mobo's is PCIe 4.0 support, without that, I don't see a reason to consider this over a B450 board.

Except for the MSI max boards, 500 series boards have larger rom, for bios storage. This will allow for more cpu support, while keeping the bios interface UI as we have become used to. Older chipsets have a 16mb rom, while the newer ones have 32mb, like the Max series boards. 500 series boards have shown to be better VRM wise, compared to their 400 counterparts, as well.

Reactions: tennis2