Question ASRock AB350 Pro4 (AM4) upgradablility help

Oct 13, 2024
Hi guys, newbie here....so be gentle. :blush:

I have a 5-6 year old system that I want to upgrade, but retirement pension does not allow for a new system.

Soooo...keeping the system and upgrading with about $500 bucks to spend

Current...Ryzen 7 1700.....NVIDIA GTX660.....DDR4 16MB

Can I put in a...

Ryzen 7 5700X...$200 CDN
Radeon RX6600....$280 CDN
32MB...$70 CDN

Used for autocad, chief architect and surfing. No games unless it's a turns based strategy game.

I can really use the help to know if my motherboard supports the new hardware. The local kids are "put it in and see if it works". No, I can't afford to buy components with wishful thinking.

REALLY need the help and thank you in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

You will need to perform a BIOS update to the latest version prior to dropping in the Ryzen 7 5700x.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/index.asp#BIOS
at the very least, you will need BIOS version P7.40 in order to operate the Ryzen 7 5700x.

Do you have any preferred sites for purchase within Canada?

Reactions: Spartanbld

Nice Nicer

Reputable
May 24, 2021
I have a similar mainboard, and i assume that up to the 4000 series practically everything should work after a bios update.
Don´t forget about that, once you found a new processor. Please refer to the manufacturer´s website for processor compatibility. You also need a decent cooler for Ryzen 7, i think. This might cost about 30 - 40 dollars extra depending on your choice.
ASRock probably provides a list of compatible parts for the CPU. Same with the RAM. Also try to find out about the maximum speed for the sticks, which probaly is about 3200 Mhz. Matching pairs work better than individual parts ( you probably have heard about it before ). The Graphics card of your choice does work better with PCI-E Gen 4 if i remeber correctly, so also check if your mainboard can provide that.

Good Luck dealhunting! This sounds like you might consider some kind of offer for a bundle, which might cost a bit less. Not sure , where you are looking to buy though. I would suggest ebay, but that´s just a guess.

click here for the ASROCK Page about the MoBO

It does not have Pci-E Gen 4 , only 3.

List of supported CPUs - click here

The processor you would like to buy is supported. YOU NEED BIOS Revision P7.40 !!!

RX 6600 specifications

THe RX 6600 needs Pci-E gen 4 ( which you don´t have ) and x8. I would suggest a slightly different card. Maybe a bit older might even be better in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartanbld

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have a similar mainboard, and i assume that up to the 4000 series practically everything should work after a bios update.
Don´t forget about that, once you found a new processor. Please refer to the manufacturer´s website for processor compatibility. You also need a decent cooler for Ryzen 7, i think. This might cost about 30 - 40 dollars extra depending on your choice.
ASRock probably provides a list of compatible parts for the CPU. Same with the RAM. Also try to find out about the maximum speed for the sticks, which probaly is about 3200 Mhz. Matching pairs work better than individual parts ( you probably have heard about it before ). The Graphics card of your choice does work better with PCI-E Gen 4 if i remeber correctly, so also check if your mainboard can provide that.

Good Luck dealhunting! This sounds like you might consider some kind of offer for a bundle, which might cost a bit less. Not sure , where you are looking to buy though. I would suggest ebay, but that´s just a guess.

click here for the ASROCK Page about the MoBO

It does not have Pci-E Gen 4 , only 3.

List of supported CPUs - click here

The processor you would like to buy is supported. YOU NEED BIOS Revision P7.40 !!!

RX 6600 specifications

THe RX 6600 needs Pci-E gen 4 ( which you don´t have ) and x8. I would suggest a slightly different card. Maybe a bit older might even be better in this case.
The GPU will work just fine in the OP's motherboard. It is backwards compatible with the PCIe 3 interface in place.

Oct 13, 2024
The GPU will work just fine in the OP's motherboard. It is backwards compatible with the PCIe 3 interface in place.
Thank you. I was about to ask that question.

I bought the GTX 660 around 2013 for another computer that was a door stop by 2018 when I built the current system. Cards were gold at that time so I put in the 660 and waited...and waited.

Now, I want to repeat the process and by something better that can last a decade and maybe another new build in several years.

The monitor is a 43" 4k Samsung TV. So far, 5 years, it works without a problem.

So it looks like I can do what I thought I can with my $500 budget.

Only thing I don't know...are my upgrades the "best" route for what I use the computer for? It looks like I can get a ton of info on gaming components but not so much on CAD stuff.

Lastly, I'm in Canada so I'm buying from Canada Computers (up the street) or Newegg.

Last edited: