Asrock AB350m Pro4 random freezing under load

martainscorsese

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
I decided to treat myself at the end of the year by building a new Ryzen build. Ryzen 3 1300x, ASRock AB350M Pro4, G.Skill F4-3000C16S-8GISB.

It all worked fine for about 2 weeks, then yesterday it froze while I was playing Cities:Skylines. The BGM was still playing, which was weird, but the system would not respond to keyboard inputs or ping requests (I have to do a hard reset at that point). Happens on both Windows and Linux. Then it got worse, and I couldn't even open a new dialogue box without it freezing. In each case, there was no log data written and Windows never even blue-screened. I've never overclocked this, I've set the RAM to the default profile, even tried a BIOS upgrade to the most recent version. Nothing seems to have helped. On the plus side, memtest86+ is stable. Other things I've tried include disabling cool'n'quiet and precision boost, set "performance mode" in Windows power settings. Tried another psu. Tried unplugging the hard drives to rule out a bad disk.

I want to just return all of it and not have to worry, but Newegg doesn't accept processors for return and will probably charge restocking fees. Basically I can either return my mobo/ram and have a fancy processor keychain or I can try replacing some of that stuff. Is it worth it? As it stands I can still get some money back for the mobo/RAM - if I send it for replacement then they won't accept another replacement as we're approaching their 30-day return limit (and their Cust Service has been very specific in telling me that they won't accept anything past 30 days).

Anyone have this issue before? Any suggestions?

UPDATE (Dec 27/2017): Contacted ASRock support about this. Their support person just told me to return the motherboard and implied that I might look for a different model. I guess this is a common issue with these boards?

Solution
Memtest86+ has issues with UEFI BIOS and has not been updated since 2013. I suggest using Memtest86 to test memory.

Common problem is getting memory to run over 2666MHz as the 3000MHz speed is not officially supported.

When left on [Auto] and XMP disabled, memory runs at 2133MHz. That is fine to get started but memory parameters need to be set in BIOS as you would not want to continue to run at that speed.

F4-3000C16S-8GISB
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c16s-8gisb
Tested Speed 3000MHz
Tested Latency 16-18-18-38
Tested Voltage 1.35v
Unbuffered
SPD Speed 2133MHz
SPD Voltage 1.20v

Try with memory at 2666MHz and also set DRAM Timings and Dram voltage.
Memtest86+ has issues with UEFI BIOS and has not been updated since 2013. I suggest using Memtest86 to test memory.

Common problem is getting memory to run over 2666MHz as the 3000MHz speed is not officially supported.

When left on [Auto] and XMP disabled, memory runs at 2133MHz. That is fine to get started but memory parameters need to be set in BIOS as you would not want to continue to run at that speed.

F4-3000C16S-8GISB
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c16s-8gisb
Tested Speed 3000MHz
Tested Latency 16-18-18-38
Tested Voltage 1.35v
Unbuffered
SPD Speed 2133MHz
SPD Voltage 1.20v

Try with memory at 2666MHz and also set DRAM Timings and Dram voltage.

Solution