[SOLVED] ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard question

Ive seen many conflicting answers about this on different sites so if anyone knows for sure, will the ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard work with a Ryzen 5 3400G STRAIGHT from the box without needing a bios update? (UK)

Solution
Its because there is no definitive answer.

The BIOS will have to have been updated from the factory. Given Ryzen 3000 came out a year ago, most boards sold now should have this update, but if the motherboard was produced a while ago and has been sitting on a store or warehouse shelf for a while, it may not have this update.

If an online retailer:
I would ask the retailer if the board ships with a 3rd gen compatible BIOS.

If in a physical retail store:
Look at the box and look for a "Ryzen 3000 Ready" sticker. If it has this, it will work out of the box. Otherwise, likely not unless the store updated the bios.

If you cannot verify if the board has the BIOS update or you just want to avoid any confusion, I would suggest any of MSI's...
Its because there is no definitive answer.

The BIOS will have to have been updated from the factory. Given Ryzen 3000 came out a year ago, most boards sold now should have this update, but if the motherboard was produced a while ago and has been sitting on a store or warehouse shelf for a while, it may not have this update.

If an online retailer:
I would ask the retailer if the board ships with a 3rd gen compatible BIOS.

If in a physical retail store:
Look at the box and look for a "Ryzen 3000 Ready" sticker. If it has this, it will work out of the box. Otherwise, likely not unless the store updated the bios.

If you cannot verify if the board has the BIOS update or you just want to avoid any confusion, I would suggest any of MSI's B450 MAX lineup instead. These are a more recent release that will not need any BIOS update guaranteed.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
Thanks for your answers. The other point which seems to me to be a grey area is the ryzen 3400g itself. From what i can make out, it's kind of like a 'limbo' cpu. It was released and marketed as a '3rd gen' cpu/apu but has the hardware/components/architecture of a '2nd gen' cpu/apu which makes noobs like me even more confused!?