Question AsRock B450M , updating BIOS worth it?

ovelionnn

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
Hi! Im using Ryzen 5 5600 on a AsRock Steel Legend B450M. + 3070Ti
Right now i have the P4.30 update, right now there are like 4 newest version with the AMD AM4 AGESA Combo updates. Is it worth upgrading? Do they boost performance/stability? I saw on some videos that they even have worse performance.I mean i feel like i have some stability problems on my PC but Im not sure if these are really some problems or just me thinking like this:)

So should i use the newest update but its the beta one. Or better just update to the one without beta? I mean if updating then right to the newest version right? But it's still like in beta so i dont know if this is for sure safe?

Also should i reset CMOS after updating BIOS? or is this not necessary?

Lutfij

Titan
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thumb rule with BIOS is that you should leave them as is if you're not experiencing any stability issues. The updates that are shown on their support site;
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/index.asp#BIOS1
look like they are vulnerability patches with one being a optimization for RTX40 series GPU's.

If you go and look at BIOS updates that are meant to patch vulnerabilities does hit your performance a little. As for the updates, I would go with the latest Beta BIOS. Once you've flashed the BIOS to the latest version successfully, make sure to clear the CMOS.

In order to do so, disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the battery after 30mins.

The only reason I can think of to update the BIOS is to make the board capable of accepting Ryzen 5000 CPUs. I always updated my motherboards' BIOS' to enable everything, especially future CPU support.

A friend of mine had an MSi B450 motherboard. It cooked itself and took his R5-3600 along with it. So, he bought an X570 motherboard and an R7-5700X3D. Well, the board didn't support the CPU out-of-the-box so I had to loan him an R3-3100 that I had laying around so that he could update his BIOS to support the R7-5700X3D.

So, it's like, if you have a Zen2 (Ryzen 3000) CPU and it fails, you'll have to buy another Zen2 CPU to update your BIOS to allow an upgrade (which is an extra cost and an extra pain in the posterior).

If you have a Zen (Ryzen 1000) or Zen+ (Ryzen 2000), then you can't update your BIOS to support Zen3 because you need a Zen2 CPU to push your BIOS that far. With my ASRock X370 Killer SLI motherboard though, I updated the BIOS as far as I could do with a Zen CPU so that I could just drop-in a Ryzen 3000 CPU if and when I wanted to.

I've heard of people bricking their BIOS but I don't know how they managed to do that because I have never bricked a motherboard even though I've always updated my BIOS' to the latest possible version. It's a pretty simple and straightforward process that has always worked for me. I've done BIOS updates on ASRock, ASUS, Biostar and Gigabyte motherboards from as early as 2012 and never had a problem.

Some will say that you're tempting fate, and there is some truth in that, but BIOS updates are an integral part of making the most of the AM4 experience. Also, IIRC, if your BIOS isn't updated fully (to enable that secure boot and TPM 2.0 BS), you can't use Windows 11, so there's also that (assuming that you actually want to use W11).