Question ASRock B550M PRO4 with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - should I believe the angry "doesn't support ryzen 5 CPU" reviews?

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Hi guys .. my apologies in advance I feel like this is a really stupid question and I tried to research the heck out of this online before posting here with very mixed results.

I am considering buying this motherboard

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-B550M-PRO4-Processors-Motherboard/dp/B089VY5WVM

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550m...4944&email64=YW5kcmVwdXJjaGFzZXNAZ21haWwuY29t

(ASRock B550M Pro 4 )

and pairing it with this processor

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-56...&qid=1661203850&s=pc&sr=1-4&ts_id=229189&th=1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

and I would make sure to buy them directly from amazon or newegg as opposed to a third party seller (just feel more comfortable that way :) .. and better return policy if anything goes wrong).

What's making me hesitate is the bitter complaints I'm seeing on amazon reviews about how this motherboard did not work with their ryzen 5 CPU's out of the box... I'm fine with updating the BIOS if necessary but I'm also seeing bitter complaints on the amazon reviews about how you'd need to plug a ryzen 3 series CPU (and good luck finding one of those nowadays :p .. .like say the ryzen 3 3600x for example) into the motherboard just to get it to boot up and THEN swap it out for a ryzen 5 CPU.

I'm just wondering if there is any truth to these complaints? I do remember people stating it depends on what version of BIOS the motherboard ships with .. but I'd really hate to buy these two components only to find the MB isn't cooperating with the CPU right out of the box the moment I put everything together.

(some other background info .. I'd be swapping out the MB, CPU and of course the new RAM to go with the MB into two existing PC builds that already have their own independent video card and power supply .. if it helps any the video card for one desktop PC is " MSI Gaming Radeon RX 570 256-bit 8GB GDRR5 " and the video card for the other desktop PC is the " ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB " ... the power supply for the desktop PC with the radeon card is the " CORSAIR CX Series CX750 (New) CP-
9020123-NA 750W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified " model and the power supply for the desktop with the asus card is the " Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850w Fully Modular Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified " model )

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies :)

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys .. my apologies in advance I feel like this is a really stupid question and I tried to research the heck out of this online before posting here with very mixed results.

I am considering buying this motherboard

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-B550M-PRO4-Processors-Motherboard/dp/B089VY5WVM

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550m...4944&email64=YW5kcmVwdXJjaGFzZXNAZ21haWwuY29t

(ASRock B550M Pro 4 )

and pairing it with this processor

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-5600X-12-Thread-Processor/dp/B08166SLDF/ref=sr_1_4?c=ts&keywords=Computer+CPU+Processors&qid=1661203850&s=pc&sr=1-4&ts_id=229189&th=1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

and I would make sure to buy them directly from amazon or newegg as opposed to a third party seller (just feel more comfortable that way :) .. and better return policy if anything goes wrong).

What's making me hesitate is the bitter complaints I'm seeing on amazon reviews about how this motherboard did not work with their ryzen 5 CPU's out of the box... I'm fine with updating the BIOS if necessary but I'm also seeing bitter complaints on the amazon reviews about how you'd need to plug a ryzen 3 series CPU (and good luck finding one of those nowadays :p .. .like say the ryzen 3 3600x for example) into the motherboard just to get it to boot up and THEN swap it out for a ryzen 5 CPU.

I'm just wondering if there is any truth to these complaints? I do remember people stating it depends on what version of BIOS the motherboard ships with .. but I'd really hate to buy these two components only to find the MB isn't cooperating with the CPU right out of the box the moment I put everything together.

(some other background info .. I'd be swapping out the MB, CPU and of course the new RAM to go with the MB into two existing PC builds that already have their own independent video card and power supply .. if it helps any the video card for one desktop PC is " MSI Gaming Radeon RX 570 256-bit 8GB GDRR5 " and the video card for the other desktop PC is the " ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB " ... the power supply for the desktop PC with the radeon card is the " CORSAIR CX Series CX750 (New) CP-
9020123-NA 750W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified " model and the power supply for the desktop with the asus card is the " Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850w Fully Modular Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified " model )

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies :)
Look at the date posted for the "Doesn't support 5000" -- April 2021. Over a year ago. BIOS incompatibility probability is low by now.

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Well that's certainly encouraging :) .. and thank you so much for the quick reply too and a reply from a moderator to boot so fast? You guys are awesome as always :) ...

Honestly I'm just scared that amazon or newegg might just grab one of those MB's lying around from say April 2021 or older and ship it to me in which case I might have a problem :( ... or am I just worrying too much ? :)

Also sorry forgot to include this question in my initial post... I should be able to enable TPM with this CPU/MB combo in the bios right? (for Windows 11 when Microsoft forces us all to upgrade to it come October 2025)

kanewolf

Titan
Well that's certainly encouraging :) .. and thank you so much for the quick reply too and a reply from a moderator to boot so fast? You guys are awesome as always :) ...

Honestly I'm just scared that amazon or newegg might just grab one of those MB's lying around from say April 2021 or older and ship it to me in which case I might have a problem :( ... or am I just worrying too much ? :)

Also sorry forgot to include this question in my initial post... I should be able to enable TPM with this CPU/MB combo in the bios right? (for Windows 11 when Microsoft forces us all to upgrade to it come October 2025)
I don't know for sure about TPM. I will worry about that in a few years. BUT, the motherboard does have a hardware TPM connection. I think that getting the hardware module is the best answer for TPM.

Reactions: andrepartthree

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Thank you Kanewolf and I'm so sorry for the late reply :( .. normally I get an email saying someone replied to the thread I guess that didn't happen (my gmail must have decided to be wonky that day :p ) .. I just stumbled across this today :) .. thanks again :)

While I agree that almost a year and a half after release of Ryzen 5000 CPU's you'll most likely get a board that ships with a supporting BIOS. But to be fair, there's also a chance you could get an older board that never got the update. A board with BIOS flash-back, which lets you update it even without a CPU, is a good way to be confident.

If you should buy a board without flashback and it happens to have a non-supporting BIOS AMD will loan you a processor to do the update.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

But also, plan on updating BIOS to the latest no matter what. The latest fixes several problems with older BIOS's, like dropping USB ports and glitching audio. It will also enable the fTPM that's built into modern CPU's by default for Win11 compatibility. You'll not have to bother with a separate TPM module purchase.