News ASRock DDR5 Installation Stickers Blamed for Motherboard RMAs

Not that I would use it for this application, but even 50 years ago there was "Hagaron Peel" for conservators and stamp collectors. I found scrubbing with mineral oil, and then removing the oil with soapy water or alcohol worked way better for price tags and other stuff you don't need to save.

In this case and for this kind of money, if I couldn't get enough residue off with just some more tape and dry scrubbing, I'd let them replace it as it's their own dumb adhesive selection. Heck, nowadays you can buy genuine 3M Post-It glue sticks to turn dollar bills and such into repositionable/removable Post-It notes so there's no excuse for it.

Reactions: KyaraM

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
With how much they charge for the board, Why couldn't they just use the plastic stickers that you normally see on heatsinks, cases and various other consumer electronic devices. You can still print full color on them, and they do not fall apart when people pull the sticker off quickly.

With paper stickers, you need to pull them off slowly to avoid having the paper rip and leave behind chunks like in the photo.

I wonder who was the brain behind this stupid idea?

There are many place to put a sticker on a mobo, and you don't need to put adhesive all around. They could just added a piece of paper inside the mobo bag, or with a small piece of adhesive tape hanging from the socket cover, which you don't need for motherboard operation.

Reactions: Phaaze88
So, they put those stickers on RAM slots to stop people from RMAing those boards because "it is not starting just bootlooping". And now they will get those boards RMAed because RAM slots are full of glue. Talk about when the cure is worse then disease.

Reactions: RodroX

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Was a bit apprehensive as I saw an article on this issue after my X670E PG Lightning was shipped.

The first thing I did on receiving the board was to remove the RAM slot sticker and thankfully it peeled off completely intact with no visible residue. The board was around 10°C to 15°C, i.e. straight off the delivery van.