ASRock Deskmini GTX Z370 Review: The Ultimate Barebones PC

almarcy

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I am a geezer ATX fan. I am also a low $ user, so, I have not yet installed my new SSD. It is fine that folks want tidy small computers. They sell several/minute. Life goes on, within me and without me. My build is ca, 2012. Happy Tuesday :)

Jul 18, 2018
Cons:

1- Very cheap build quality.
2- Looks ugly and not modern.
3- Expensive MXM Card . itx Cards upto 1080 are available today , there is no need for MXM cards.
4- Not easy to upgrade GPU.
5- No Thunderbolt which is important for small form factors.

nostriluu

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
It's very puzzling why no tiny pc maker won't simply make room for a 3.5" drive. Sure, it'll add an inch or so, but the storage options are much better. Whoever designs a mb & case to fit two nvme drives and a 3.5" drive deserves wealth.

nostriluu

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
It's very puzzling why no tiny pc maker won't simply make room for a 3.5" drive. Sure, it'll add an inch or so, but the storage options are much better. Whoever designs a mb & case to fit two nvme drives and a 3.5" drive deserves wealth.

jcwbnimble

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
The worst part seems to be that fact that for this kind of money, you still have to purchase and install memory, CPU and storage. $900 for a motherboard and GPU seem like a very high premium, even if they are smaller than anything you can buy at Newegg or Fry's.

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
In response to newsonline- I can attest to the build quality of the device... it features a steel and aluminum construction and is quite solid. We can debate the looks of it, because that's subjective (I found it sleek and elegant, some prefer edgy and flashy). MXM cards are indeed expensive, but the interface in the Deskmini is quite accessible and not all that hard to replace (say, if/when MXM 1180s arrive).

The size of the Deskmini wouldn't permit for a short-board (mini-ITX) graphics card as you suggested... I suppose you really have to see it next to something to get the scale of how small it really is, but it's only slightly larger than one of those types of GPUs. Thunderbolt... yes. The lack of it is somewhat disappointing, but the next-gen interface only has so many applications, many of which don't apply to mainstream users. However, I understand your disappointment with the MXM GPU form factor and interface... the Deskmini may not tick all the boxes for users looking for those things in one small package. But I believe it ticks a lot of the boxes for someone considering a product of this kind, especially if you look at other devices in this category and enjoy the DIY approach but still want to go the barebones mini PC route.

TRENDING THREADS