Question *ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2020
Hi, i have a Asrock b450 Pro4 with a ryzen 5 2500x and i want to update my bios but it says that ,*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system. '' and my cpu is indeed a Pinnacle Ridge. Is it that dangerous to update it? What would harm if i do update it?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, i have a Asrock b450 Pro4 with a ryzen 5 2500x and i want to update my bios but it says that ,*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system. '' and my cpu is indeed a Pinnacle Ridge. Is it that dangerous to update it? What would harm if i do update it?
Don't update your BIOS "just because there is a new one". What do you believe a BIOS update will improve?

Jul 23, 2020
My xmp settings simply doesen.t work, when i put xmp on it still says 2133 on every program Cpu-z, hwinfo etc and even in bios at the front page, same with trying putting it manually at 3000. I tried once to put it manually to 2933 and it would not boot, but on the front page where i went to change it back to normal would apeear that is indeed changed to 2933. Btw my rams are 3000Mhz.
So when i try changing it to 2933 it does change but not boot, but when i try to xmp or put it manually to 3000 nothing changes.

Last edited:
My xmp settings simply doesen.t work, when i put xmp on it still says 2133 on every program Cpu-z, hwinfo etc and even in bios at the front page, same with trying putting it manually at 3000. I tried once to put it manually to 2933 and it would not boot, but on the front page where i went to change it back to normal would apeear that is indeed changed to 2933. Btw my rams are 3000Mhz.
So when i try changing it to 2933 it does change but not boot, but when i try to xmp or put it manually to 3000 nothing changes.
Have you tried running a memory tester like memtest86 with the ram at 2133? Your ram might be defective. If you get any errors at 2133 return it for a refund or replacement.

Because they had to stop dropping support for those CPU's because there wasn't enough space on the BIOS chip to support the OLDER CPU's and the NEWER 3000 CPUs at the same time. So basically BIOS update support for your chip is dead.

Reactions: 4745454b

ASRock will default to lowest common speed if it fails to run the ram at set speed upon bootstrap (startup) This is indicated by the system rebooting several times and the fans running at full speed for longer than required.

RAM speed is a function of quality of RAM, CPU type, voltage, and number of banks filled on said motherboard.

For example with my Raven Ridge, I could only get 2933 speed working on my 3000 DDR4 memory with all 4 banks populated. If I went to two sticks, everything worked. If you read the manual it will tell you something similar. It has a maximum supported speed for a given CPU given the number of banks filled and if 1D or 2D. You are running overclocked for Raven Ridge. For Raven Ridge only 2666 is officially supported, and IIRC even less for 4 banks filled. Everything else is over clocking.

Now on my AsRock ITX Fatal1ty motherboard, I can run 3200 all day and all night on my raven ridge. But again this is still overclocked and outside spec. But ITX motherboards are known for better memory overclock because the traces are shorter and fewer.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
ASRock has 1 bios line. You follow that line in series, one bios to the next. At certain points, the bios becomes irreversible, you'll see that as the notations saying you MUST make sure to have Rev. XXX before further updating. At a certain point, ASRock stops further updates as they are for 3rd release only cpus and will delete portions of 1st/2nd release data in order to make room for the update on the smaller bios chips. Having a 2000 series cpu, you stop there. Do NOT install any bios after that unless specifically intended for 2000 series-2nd release cpus.

Status
Not open for further replies.