Question *ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

RZap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Bought a B450M Pro4 motherboard, support page states "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system" for bios version 3.9--which is what it shipped with. It won't let me flash to an earlier version. I bought the board to use with a Ryzen 5 2600. Does anyone know why is it not recommended? Why ship with a bios not recommended for anything earlier than the 3XXX series?

RZap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Bios rom is not large enough to maintain microcode for some cpus if update bios to run 3rd gen. Your 2600 is not affected.

I see what you're saying, but isn't the 2600 Pinnacle Ridge? Is there a source citing the 2600 is not affected? I'm a bit of a worry-wart. :(

RZap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Oh sorry, the bios sticker on the motherboard says 3.90?

The BIOS (UEFI rather) says 3.9, as the system does boot, but I'm worried about potential instabilities down the line. I'm considering returning the board and going with a different one before my return period window runs out.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Weird Asrock released that board expecting to have 3rd gen cpu, you're right. Bios 3.30~3.40 gives next gen support while still maintaining support for Pinnacle.

Later updates improve Destiny 2 performance with 3rd gen cpus, why they not recommend earlier cpus is weird.

So you're for sure seeing v3.90 sticker on the motherboard bios chip?

RZap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Weird Asrock released that board expecting to have 3rd gen cpu, you're right. Bios 3.30~3.40 gives next gen support while still maintaining support for Pinnacle.

Later updates improve Destiny 2 performance with 3rd gen cpus, why they not recommend earlier cpus is weird.

So you're for sure seeing v3.90 sticker on the motherboard bios chip?

My bad, it's v3.6 (all the way back to August) . . . which STILL says "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system", so I've got the same issue if I want to use the 2600. I'm probably just going to return the board and go with a Gigabyte B450M DS3H, the support page for that board doesn't have any cryptic warnings about not using earlier Ryzen generations. At any rate, thank you kindly for your input.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might want to contact ASrock explaining what you've found. I don't think this is right. There's no warning on the product page at Amazon mentioning it wont work with Pinnacle in it's current state. Something has changed.

Was the seller Amazon or a partner on Amazon?

RZap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Might want to contact ASrock explaining what you've found. I don't think this is right. There's no warning on the product page at Amazon mentioning it wont work with Pinnacle in it's current state. Something has changed.

Was the seller Amazon or a partner on Amazon?

Amazon, not a partner. The system DOES boot (or did, already took it apart), loaded Windows 10, got to desktop, decided to see if there were any bios updates that I'd be interested in on the support page and saw the recommendation (or non-recommendation). The support page doesn't say earlier generations won't work, they're just NOT recommended :confused_old:. So then, uncertainty crept in, e.g., what if the system becomes unstable during gaming, or other situations? I'm busy during the holidays so I don't have time to do a proper stress test/ burn in/ bench mark on a new build like I usually do, and I don't want to wait too long that I can't return the board.

It's not just this model of board either, the ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 has the same warning, as does the B450M Steel Legend, probably others. It's an ASRock thing apparently, I don' see any such warnings on the support pages of the other popular brand motherboards for sale on Amazon or Newegg. Still a head-scratcher.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh i thought you had issues. Then no it's all good, don't need to worry. Those further bios updates are for Zen2 cpus if you were to upgrade and have performance issues with Destiny 2 running on newer cpus, it does explain that. Probably to do with instruction sets offered by Zen2 that the bios needs to be updated to take advantage of or rectify.

Last edited:

RZap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2014
Oh i thought you had issues. Then no it's all good, don't need to worry. Those further bios updates are for Zen2 cpus if you were to upgrade and have performance issues with Destiny 2 running on newer cpus, it does explain that. Probably to do with instruction sets offered by Zen2 that the bios needs to be updated to take advantage of or rectify.

My motherboard shipped with a bios that specifically recommends it NOT be used with Pinnacle Ridge CPU's, which is what I'm using. That was the kick in the pants :mad:, unless I'm just not understanding the statement "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system". Fine--I won't update the bios . . . because it's already been updated from the factory, totally out of my control. It would have been nice to flash to an earlier bios, but it won't let me. Thx again for input though, you've been very helpful, I guess I'm just a worrier.

Dec 30, 2019
I've just finished a build yesterday using a B450 Steel Legend and a Ryzen 7 2700. as you say it says Asrock don't recommend updating if your using Pinnacle Ridge etc. However my take on that is the Bios already accepts pinnacle Ridge etc. so no updating is required , in other words leave it alone as it's working fine and only update if you want to use the new Gen3 3000 CPUs. My systems been stress tested and works fine.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019
When did you buy your motherboard and what bios revision did your board have from the box Tiree?
I bought it the week before Christmas , Bios revision P2.90 {which isn't even listed] . Microcode Update is 800F82/800820D. Like I said I read it as Asrock saying don't upgrade if you're using any of the Ridge CPUs. I very much doubt updating would do any harm anyway it's more of a "if it aint broke don't fix it" warning.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well Pinnacle Ridge, like your cpu and his, are both operating on Bios revisions mentioning not to be ran on. Your bios 2.90? If that's right (check sticker on bios chip), from 2.80 is when they mention not to flash to this version if use a Pinnacle cpu. Same situation as RZap with bios v3.60 already applied upon buying.

Tbh, don't think it matters if don't play Destiny 2. I wonder what the problem is with that game.

Dec 30, 2019
Well Pinnacle Ridge, like your cpu and his, are both operating on Bios revisions mentioning not to be ran on. Your bios 2.90? If that's right (check sticker on bios chip), from 2.80 is when they mention not to flash to this version if use a Pinnacle cpu. Same situation as RZap with bios v3.60 already applied upon buying.

Tbh, don't think it matters if don't play Destiny 2. I wonder what the problem is with that game.
Not true, supported CPU's on Asrock webpage say Pinnacle Ridge supported on ALL Bios versions. Read it and see. I don't need to "check the sticker" it's listed in my Bios.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not true, supported CPU's on Asrock webpage say Pinnacle Ridge supported on ALL Bios versions. Read it and see. I don't need to "check the sticker" it's listed in my Bios.

I'm not saying Pinnacle is not supported. I am taking about what's said in the update notes for both of your boards and revisions you're currently both on. Just curious about Asrock and the seriousness behind their tone.

For v2.80.
ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version

Last edited:
Reactions: Dooktar

Dooktar

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Definitely don't take the risk of future issues on a brand new board. (You didn't buy it for a paper weight)
Also, did you buy the ATX or Micro ATX board? For future reference for which one to avoid.

Dec 30, 2019
I'm not saying Pinnacle is not supported. I am taking about what's said in the update notes for both of your boards and revisions you're both currently both on. Just curious about Asrock and the seriousness behind their tone.

For v2.80.
[/Q
I'm not saying Pinnacle is not supported. I am taking about what's said in the update notes for both of your boards and revisions you're both currently both on. Just curious about Asrock and the seriousness behind their tone.

For v2.80.

For v2.80.
You did say I was running on a Bios version it mentioned not to be ran on. It's easy ,you check the Motherboard homepage and see what it says. It says Pinnacle Ridge , Raven Ridge , Summit Ridge CPUs run on all Bios versions, couldn't be clearer.

Dooktar

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
You did say I was running on a Bios version it mentioned not to be ran on. It's easy ,you check the Motherboard homepage and see what it says. It says Pinnacle Ridge , Raven Ridge , Summit Ridge CPUs run on all Bios versions, couldn't be clearer.

They're just worried about future gaming issues from being ran on a "not recommended" BIOS version. ASROCK is vague on why it's not recommended, and OP seems to be not attached to the board.

Better safe than sorry, it's a cliche for a reason.

Reactions: boju and Tiree
Bought a B450M Pro4 motherboard, support page states "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system" for bios version 3.9--which is what it shipped with. It won't let me flash to an earlier version. I bought the board to use with a Ryzen 5 2600. Does anyone know why is it not recommended? Why ship with a bios not recommended for anything earlier than the 3XXX series?
They just don't want you to update to a BIOS for Ryzen 3000 because if you do it may no longer work for Bristol Ridge APU's or Athlon APU's. And while it might work with Ryzen 1000 or 2000 CPU's and APU's it would probably be sub-otpimal.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

In the update bios notes it does say that, as said in my quote for your board, v.2.80, your above that. It mentions there not to update if use Pinnacle. OP's discussion was based on the bios update listings. Anyhow, im not disagreeing with you. You might have got confused with my wording probably, but as Dooktar said, how Asrock went about it's Destiny 2 bios update just confuses, hence this thread.

Reactions: Tiree
Status
Not open for further replies.