[SOLVED] ASRock Extreme 4 Z97 WiFi card compatibility

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hope this is the correct forum, I have this MB on one of my kids' PC and would like to have a WiFi ethernet connection to use with our gig-speed LAN.

Specs for the board state that it supports 1000 Mb/s, but also states it supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az.

I'm assuming that's through the MB's I/O ethernet connection, what about a PCI-E WiFi card like the Asus PCE-AC-68? Will this card work on this MB?

Any input appreciated.

Solution
That "1300" is in perfect lab conditions. Pure marketing fluff.
Direct line of sight, but not too close. No other WiFi sources and devices to interfere, etc, etc.

And, it is halved between TX and RX.
650 each way.

WiFi is very environmentally sensitive. House construction, microwave oven, neighbors, distance, etc, etc.

Buy one. See what you get.

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Copy that, thanks.

You'll not get full gigabit speed through it, though.

The card does state with 5G it will exceed gigabit speed,

"Up to 600Mbps on 2.4GHz, up to 1300Mbps on 5GHz"

It refers to "upto" and my service is around 920 Mb/s. My plan is to get at least half those specs on this PC.

I agree I likely won't get the full speed, but should be better than my current USB stick.

USAFRet

Titan
That "1300" is in perfect lab conditions. Pure marketing fluff.
Direct line of sight, but not too close. No other WiFi sources and devices to interfere, etc, etc.

And, it is halved between TX and RX.
650 each way.

WiFi is very environmentally sensitive. House construction, microwave oven, neighbors, distance, etc, etc.

Buy one. See what you get.

Solution