Question Asus PCIe WiFi card not detected ?

Xemrael

Honorable
Jan 25, 2019
Greetings,

Got myself this WiFi card: https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/adapters/all-series/pce-ax1800/

My motherboard is an old ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer with an FX8350 cpu

I was previously using a TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe WiFi card with no issues

The OS is Windows 10.

The new card wasn't detected when I installed it, rebooted, went into UEFI since I have this System Browser option that lets me see what is installed on the board, and was surprised that the PCI-e x1 slot where the card was installed was “empty”

After a lot of reboots and shutdowns, eventually the card is sometimes detected, but most of the time what works or appears on device manager is the Bluetooth part, and even that randomly stops working after some time, and disappears from device manager like it was removed

When the device manager can see the wifi part, it gives a code 10

Never expected so many problems and issues with an expansion card, I am at a loss here

Is my motherboard incompatible?

Sad and frustrated with this, got a new router to make use of my internet upgrade and decided to pair this card with it to not have any issues (ironic, right)

The router is a ASUS RT-AX55 - https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/all-series/rt-ax55/

Any ideas and help would really be appreciated

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
When you went to make the change, BEFORE removing the old TPLink card, did you Remove it and delete the driver for it in Device Manager? If not, then what may be happening is that the old driver is being loaded by Windows and then tries to access the new card in the same PCIe slot, and that card does NOT respond correctly.

Try this. Remove the new card and re-install the old one. Boot up and see if everything works OK. Now go into Device Manager and find that card among the Network Adapters. Use the Action tab at top to Uninstall the device. Back out and shut down. Now remove that card and install the new one, then boot up again. You should see a window saying a new device has been discovered and its driver is being installed. If that does not happen, go back into Device Manger and use the Action Menu again to Scan for New Devices.

Hopefully this should get the proper device manager installed so it can use the new ASUS card.

Xemrael

Honorable
Jan 25, 2019
Thank you for the reply

I did all of that first, the thing is that the new card has a lot of issues getting recognized by the board. I can check that in the UEFI system browser as most of the time the slot appears empty...

I tested in an even older board and a newer one, and the card appears to work with no issues.

It's strange that my old card works fine and the new one doesn't... I am at a loss here to this

Dec 31, 2023
According to some chap called aminy23 on Reddit, The ASUS PCE-AX1800 uses a MediaTek card, most likely an MT7921.

You might fare better with an Intel AX200 card like the ASUS PCE-AX3000.

WiFi being finicky is par for the course; ethernet FTW IMHO.

Xemrael

Honorable
Jan 25, 2019
I can check for another card, but I believe there is something in this M.2 to PCIe interface adapter that is not playing nice with my board.
Just as last resort I'm gonna reflash my bios when I have the time and see if something works