Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer Heatsink temps after watercooling upgrade

Maxcodes

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
So i just upgraded my build with watercooling (H80i) and more ram, and i know that this mobos is running hot by touch-testing the heatsinks, they even get so hot that you can't keep your finger on it for too long. Now my problem is that after the upgrade windows started changing from aero to classic after some time of use and the computer started to slow down, but this problem doesn't persist after a reboot. So i tested the ram (It is the same as i had before the upgrade) and it didn't show any errors i also checked the cpu temps under idle and full load and they were: IDLE: 33-36C. Under SOME LOAD: 37-45C. and Under FULL LOAD: 50-57C. So my question is could it be the mobo overheating and throttling the whole system or any other suggestions?

My full build:

CPU: FX-8350
CPU COOLER: Corsair H80i (Old one: Hyper 212 evo)
MOBO: Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
GPU: MSI R9 270X 4GB
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) 1866Mhz (=16GB Total)
PSU: be quiet! purepower 630W 80+ Bronze
HDD: Seagate SSHD 1TB
CASE: Corsair 230T

The symptom of Windows changing from Aero to Classic is most probably to do with a GPU overheat rather than the Motherboard or CPU since Aero makes use of the GPU to achieve its shader effect. In addition the CPU Temperatures you're seeing are very normal and within tolerable ranges. If you want to be doubly sure about your H80i cooling solution, make absolutely sure the fans are spinning and that the cooling bracket is securely mounted with thermal paste applied.

Try a program such as HWiNFO to monitor as many temperatures as your Motherboard and other components have sensors:

HWiNFO:http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Of particular importance is your GPU Temperature, especially while running strenuous 3D Applications such as rendering 3D images or gaming.

You may also want to Update your Display Drivers to the latest, non-beta version:

AMD Driver Download: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Make sure to completely uninstall previous driver versions and reboot your machine before installing new drivers.

Hopefully that will correct the problem.

Maxcodes

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

Oh i forgot to mention that my GPU temps are at highest around 55C While gaming and 27C at idle, This problem occured even when i had the latest non-beta drivers. And the coolers is secured and all fans are spinning.

Heatsinks provide airflow to parts other than the Cpu so replacing a Hs can result in Nb and ram becoming hotter, rectify the issue by modding a 120 fan over your Corsairs pump to replace/improve flow onto the mobo around the socket, I did it over my Rasa block and as an additional benefit found my top Gpu was also cooled a bit more
Moto

g0tsl33p

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Same board here, same chip type. CoolerMaster Watercooling.

When buying this board everywhere said it runs hot. What I did is stick 1cm copper heat-syncs all about the NB and VRM syncs. I also placed a ram fans cooling pair directly above the "Killer" VRM heat sync. Working towards overclocking I added my stock CPU heat sync fan over the back of the socket, on the backside of the motherboard.

Now if only I can find the maximum socket temperature for the win.
As far as throttling goes, here are some things to play with in BIOS. So far I recommend turning all safety features off once you gain confidence in what is out there.

Cool-n-Quiet, disabled as it will throttle the CPU down when full load is not needed. Then there is Thermal Throttling, I do not completely understand this one yet, however it has been said this will throttle down when you NB or VRMS aka the motherboard gets hot so things wont set on fire. Good to have, but possibly unnecessary with appropriate cooling. Lastly there are the advanced voltage regulation settings locked in with TURBO. I disable these as to prevent underclocking plus volting, as long as I am testing to stay stable while they system can be kept cool.

Always monitor your temperatures, never give up, and tell us if you catch fire.

- fourteen

TRENDING THREADS