Question Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 Bios

shafted

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
Bios question : I have this MB and it came with 3.50 bios, Running Windows 7 with a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which is a Pinnacle Ridge processor. Starting with the 3.50 bios the asrock website warns - ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system ; however it say you can't flash back to an older version. So I went ahead and tried it and it works OK. But there is supposedly a big performance gain by using a later AMD AGESA version (comes with the bios updates). Link to the bios info - https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS Now the kicker is on the CPU support list - https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4/index.asp#CPU
It list my processor as supported since Bios 3.90.... from the compatibility chart - 1600(YD1600BBM6IAF) 65W Pinnacle Ridge 3.2GHz 3MB B2 P3.90 Should I try flashing to a later bios or not?? Has anyone using this board used a later bios and a pinnacle ridge??

shafted

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
Just an update of Bios info from my last post. Decided to try 3.90 for my Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 board. Still have the beef about not recommended for the Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU warning in the bios downloads and listing the Pinnacle 1600AF in the CPU support list as since bios 3.90 - It was working for me shipped with the 3.50 bios. I'm not worried about 4.10 because that's a mem and fan control update (and other posters here are reporting problems), and the 4.20 bios Agesa Combo is specifically for gen 3 ryzen. I am using b-die mem that run at 3200 like they are supposed to. With the 3.90 bios everything is working better. With 3.50 the processor didn't boost correctly - it stayed at whatever you had set as min processor speed in power management (win7x64). Now it goes to from min to 3600 with no OC parameters set.(like it's supposed to)
For others searching about this please note that I have a 1600AF which is a Zen+ Pinnacle Ridge Processor, I would suggest that the CPU Support List is what you should use for this Asrock board and then consult the bios list to check what the bios version says.

shafted

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 bios info update. I have a Zen+ (Pinnacle, no APU). I was concerned about issues that others have had with previous versions. I had updated to 3.90 without issue, and have now updated to 4.80. Windows 7 took a short time to load drivers afterwords, but everything is working good (after rebooting with driver changes) and now there are some new bios options. Only thing that is off is the trc clocking in memory XMP profile, but thats it and not a problem.
Basic info:
Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
G.SKILL Flare X 16G Mem kit
Ryzen 1600AF
Radeon RX 550 4GB
970 EVO Plus NVME
Win 7 x64