ASRock Fatal1ty h170 Performance vs Gigabyte GA-h170-Gaming 3

fuf126

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
I cant decide between the two and would appreciate some input.
My Build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard:?
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

That board is good, but its more expensive than both the boards that the OP listed, also those boards are probably a bit overkill for a non-oc CPU.

fuf126

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

Yeah, I'm trying to keep the board on the less expensive side, without losing too many features.

KinkyGTA

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

Do you mean issues like the thin wafer bending from heavy heat sink? Maybe the computational errors discovered in Prime95? Those have made me hesitate to want to build a Skylake system.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

The GB board has better audio, for the rest of the performance it will be almost exactly the same I have used the GB board with no problems and would recommend it.
I would also recommend buying a WD blue drive over the SB.
For the video card I would consider a GTX 970 for less heat output since your not using a aftermarket CPU cooler that would also allow you to drop the PSU to 550 Watts. (depending on where you can buy from could save money and make up the cost difference in the cards)

well that and no xeon on 100 series - limited chip choice - maybe forced to win 10 - usb support remove from win-7 to try to stop 7 installs from a pendrive or any iso image you down load from legal Microsoft -- needs tool to force usb drivers if you do install 7 [download iso -] -- one of the most viewed threads here at toms is ''skylake freezing '' or something like that -- on and on , I mean WOW ... I'm going to pay good money for all that ??

you know haswell don't have any of that mess but it still don't have any support under win-7 [amd am3+ still supports xp -vista -7 -8-8.1 and 10 ]

then with intels tic - tock road map the proformance gains aint so great [ddr4 ? big deal ]

the more you get away from the hype and clear there smoke screens and look at some facts the more you will appreciate having a good haswell rig running [ and you may find some good deals on a nice z/h 97 haswell and a lot of chips to choose from and its a tried and true proven platform and well supported

me I would do that and skip skylake and wait and see what comes next ?? [opinion]

good luck on what ever you decide and enjoy

i forgot about the memory voltage if set too high it can damage

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/

thing is how much with ddr4 can you bump it up to ??? and then with that well it affect the chip running it prolong ??

seems like every time you turn around theres something up with the platform [more opinion ]