ASRock Fatal1ty Killer with GSkill Ripjaws X f3-1600C9D-16GXM Memory Failed CPU Memory Test

MattShouldBeOnAMtn

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
I'm having an issue assembling my newly built system. First power on is resulting in "The following Channel memory did not pass CPU memory test. Please remove the memory then plug in again"

ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer with 2 8GB sticks of GSkill Ripjaws X (f3-1600C9D-16GXM)

A single chip at a time in the A1 slot works no problem. Both chips in A2/B2 or A1/B1 I get the above error.

Channel A1/A2 it's working but running in single channel mode. Also it's showing as DDR3-1333 instead of 1600.

It looks like the memory isn't on the ASRock compatibility list for the motherboard but when you go to the GSkill site they list the motherboard as compatible. I've come across others elsewhere running this combo and they seem to be working.

Any ideas? Not sure if it's a motherboard RMA or trying different RAM chips at this point.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Sounds like channel A isn't being picked up, try loosening the CPU cooler, then snug it down, not overly tight, and give it a try. Quite often if the cooler is tightened down too much at one of the connections it throws the CPU off so it doesn't lay flat in the socket, which often affects the MC (memory controller).....If no joy there, would check the socket for bent pins or excess thermal compound theat may have seeped in or to bottom of CPU

MattShouldBeOnAMtn

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
I ordered another set of chips that were on the compatibility list for the motherboard (4x4gb vs 2x8gb) and everything is working. I just returned the other set. So motherboard compatibility trumps that of the ram manufacturer...